Funny: Inherit the Wind
- In the film version, Hornbeck, even when he's being an ass.
- For example:
Woman in crowd (to Hornbeck): Sir, are you looking for a nice, clean place to stay?
Hornbeck (overly polite): Madam, I had a nice, clean place to stay, and I left it to come here.
- This exchange:
Drummond: But was it (ie. the first day of creation) a normal day, a literal day? A 24-hour day?
Brady: ...I don't know.
Drummond: What do you think?
Brady: I do not think about things that I...do not think about.
Drummond: Do you ever think about things that you DO think about?
- Another one:
Drummond: Then why did God plague us with the capacity to think? [...] even the sponge is more durable. Or does a sponge think?
Brady: I don't know. I'm a man, not a sponge! (audience laughs, Brady is pleased)
- Drummond's suspenders, even in black and white.
- Drummond's objection to Brady's honorary rank of "colonel" and the judges subsequent question to what to do about it.
Drummond: Break him. Make him a private. I have no serious objection to the title "private Brady".
- And right after that, when the Major makes him temporary honorary colonel to appease him.
Drummond (With heavy sarcasm): Well gentlemen, I am honored. It is not everyday one becomes a 'temporary honorary colonel'.
- When Brady objects to Drummond dismissing someone from a jury seat without asking him any questions (Bradys' questions had already established him as a highly religious fanboy of Brady), the following conversation ensues:
Drummond: Alright, I'll ask him a question. (To the man) How are ya?
Man: Pretty hot. (The courtroom was over 90° Fahrenheit.)
Drummond: Me too. Dismissed.
- "Darwin was wrong. Man's still an ape."