Funny: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
- "All we had to do was follow the damn train, CJ!"
- Most of the time that Catalina confronts CJ with anger, you're guaranteed to hear CJ say: "What do I do now?" as if he was always wrong from Catalina's perspective.
- This exchange:
Toreno's Henchman: This is all about speed and commitment. You got a GPS in the cab. Get to each set of map coordinates as quick as you can. Make it to all the coordinates then get the truck back here. Lose the truck and you fail.
CJ: First, what's a GPS? Second, fail what? Third, who the fuck are you?
Voicebox: Time to see what you're made of.
CJ: What it look like I'm made of? Pudding?
- Pretty much anytime the Grove Street OG's get in a car in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. For example, in Drive-Thru, there's Big Smoke's order at the Cluckin' Bell:
Smoke: I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.
(CJ and Ryder look behind at Smoke and shrug)
Ryder: Smoke, when are you gonna stop eatin' and start blastin'!?
- Also, Big Smoke managing to eat the entire gang's takeaway meal while the others are having a shootout with another gang's car.
Big Smoke: I'll shoot 'em when I'm done eatin', I'm tryin' to enjoy my meal!
Sweet: And those Balla fools are tryin' to enjoy our death!
[Sweet's car slams deftly into the Balla gangcar]
Big Smoke: My special!
Ryder: Oh shit, you got ketchup all over the seat!
Big Smoke: The business at hand, motherfucker, the business at hand!
Ryder: But these was clean pants!
- Sweet and Kendl argue over Kendl's "cholo motherfucker" boyfriend Cesar.
Sweet: Some things just aren't meant to happen. I mean, what if ya'll have kids? Leroy Hernandez? That don't sound good, girl.
Kendl: His name ain't Hernandez.
Sweet: Well, Leroy Lopez then.
Kendl: Or Lopez either, you racist fuck! That ain't how Moms raised us!
Sweet: I ain't racist. I just know how they feel about you. And look at you, you're dressed like a hooker!
Kendl: Oh, and I guess you two would know what a hooker look like, huh.
CJ: You say that like it's a bad thing.
Kendl, Sweet: Shut up, Carl!
- And later on, Tenpenny tells CJ to call 555-WETIP and frame someone for drug possession.
CJ: Hey motherfucker, the code of the streets is that I don't snitch! I don't give a fuck if it kills you, me, my brother. Street cats don't call no cops!
Tenpenny: Carl, he's a D.A.!
CJ: ...yeah? Well, where I go find him?
- OG Loc has got to be the funniest character in the game. Not only does he break out into really lame raps all the time, but what really makes him funny is that we all know someone like him! Here's when he's rapping in the bathroom of Burger Shot:
OG Loc: Hey hey hey, it's OG Loc, homie, and I'm gonna kick it a little something like this... Hey yo', when I come through up in the place, you don't want me to call with a gun in your face, I feel it harder than anyone in the world could do, just like a...
(A man comes out of the toilet cubicle)
Man: Yo, that shit SUCKS! Damn! (leaves)
OG Loc: Damn—my shit was wack!
- For some dark humor, how about when CJ needs a silenced pistol?
CJ: (looking at the silenced pistol Cesar pulled out of nowhere) Where'd you get that?
Cesar: Same place I buy my pants, holmes. This is America!
- Anything Toreno says. Made twenty times funnier by the fact that it's James Woods doing the voice.
Toreno: But that's fine, because, you know what, your brother is getting a new cellmate tonight. Horsecock Harry. And I'm sending them a present, little wedding present. Biiiiig' tube of lube.CJ: Shit, dude, okay, okay, I swear man I'm gonna be the best pilot!Toreno: I'd love to hear you, Carl, I can't hear you. All I can hear are the sound of your brother's love cries as eight kilometers of cock finds its way up his ass! "Aooooowww!" That's your brother, okay?
- Don't bother taking the flight school mission by completing side missions, and, after some increasingly urgent calls from Toreno, you get this:
Toreno: GOT YOU AGAIN CARL! You're half asleep, I could have killed you in NINE different ways! Wake up and smell the coffee.Carl: You need to lay OFF the coffee!
- Another good Toreno quote:
Toreno: The Russians have bigger things to worry about than your genitals, Carl.
- And yet another in the intro for N.O.E, when Toreno suddenly grabs Carl from behind:
- Many scenes with Ryder. For example, when you go with him to do a little burglary:
Ryder: Let's storm the place!
CJ: Hold up! Let's creep in, grab the guns, and bounce out.
Ryder: Gyeah, gyeah, I got it, Ninja Style! Right! COME OUT, YOU OLD BASTARD!
CJ: Shut up!
Ryder: You can't stop me! You busta, Carl!
Ryder: Give up the money! This a raid!Cashier: Ryder! Not this again!Ryder: It ain't me, fool!!Cashier: No one else is that small. I feel sorry for your dad.
- Then there's the time Ryder tries to stick up a pizza parlor...
- How about when CJ and the Truth are driving to San Fierro in the Mothership?
Truth: Go faster? The engine block's held together with a macrame hammock, and it's running on fifteen year old cooking oil!
Truth: Hey, you want a hit on this? A little Temple Charas in a cocktail with some Nepalese munga munga!
CJ: Put that thing out, man! I can't see.
Truth: Hey.... mellow out, brother, it's good shit.
CJ: Put it out, motherfucker, I'm warning you!
Truth: Woah! Chill the fuck out! Firstly, you are a real buzz killer, amigo.... and secondly, I never made love to my mother. She wouldn't.
- Toreno messing with CJ during the 'Vertical Bird' mission:
Toreno: You see? Child's play!
CJ: Fuck you, Toreno! I never want to go through this again! I think I'm gonna hurl...
Toreno: Ooh, what a big whiner, you want some cheese with that wine? Hey, you were spectacular. You know what, I'm beginning to think my little Carl is a double agent. Oooh.
CJ: Shut up, Toreno. Where do you want this thing?
Toreno: What thing? I don't know what you're talking about - you stole it. Got nothing to do with me, I don't know what you're talking about. See ya 'round.
CJ: Toreno? Toreno! Shit!
- Earlier in Vertical Bird.
Toreno: Sneak in the back without being seen. Once you're on the inside, I cannot help you.
CJ: Well, can you help me now?
Toreno: Oh, well, no. Actually, no.
- Yep, CJ gave Toreno pause.
- Toreno's mocking tone as he parodies the enemy pilot's warning to CJ, "Prepare to be vaporized."
- Oh yeah, and pretty much entirety of the mission where you have to find those two British guys in the desert.
Truth: We faced the inner light and communed with the lizard king.
CJ: Sounds fun. How did it go?
Truth: That's the problem, I don't know. I'm in Los Santos. I woke up in a Japanese bathhouse about an hour ago. I have no idea how I got here or where the others are.CJ: Man, what the hell was y'all doing last night?
Maccer: Anybody got a rag?
CJ: ...Ehh, so where am I taking y'all?Maccer: BUT I'M A FOOKING RAZBR'Y!!!
Kent Paul: YOU'RE NOT A FUCKING RASPBERRY!(CJ and co. driving away from angry snake farm residents)
Maccer: Hey, what about the band?
Kent Paul: We'll just have to pray they've made it to civilization. Keyboardists and drummers are ten-a-penny anyway.
- In the cargo ship, the elderly Asian man responsible for setting up the refugees throws you a katana and yells that you two should duel with honor...or you can just shoot him, a la Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- Any time CJ and Woozie are interacting is bound to be hilarious.
CJ [shortly after discovering that Woozie is blind]: Uh... Woozie... You do know I'm black, right? And not Chinese?Woozie: I'm blind, Carl, not stupid.
Woozie: Hit me.
- Another particularly good moment comes during a pre-mission cutscene for one of Woozie's missions in Las Venturas, where Woozie and CJ are playing blackjack (paraphrased from memory):
Woozie: Yeah. I'm going for a five card hand.
CJ: Okay. *CJ puts another card down* So how's it look?
Woozie: ...I don't know! You tell me!
CJ: Not good. You got, uh... thirty-seven.
Woozie: Dammit! You know Carl, you're bad luck for me. When I play with the guys, I always win!
- Before "You've Had Your Chips", one of the Mountain Cloud boys comes in with a pair of casino chips and offers them to Woozie.
Woozie: One's a fake.
CJ: ... That's amazing, you ain't even touched 'em.
Woozie: I took a guess. Why else would he come in here with two chips, sounding so upset? You take a look, Carl.
CJ: Oh, yeah. The dragon on this one's got on sunglasses and a white cane... (remember, Woozie's blind...)
Woozie: (Slams Table) INSOLENT BASTARDS!!!
- At the rendezvous point after the heist.
CJ: Where's Woozie?
Henchman: He insisted on driving himself. Could be anywhere.
- Remember that Woozie is blind.
- Most of CJ's dialogue outside of cutscenes is freaking gold:
- "You a professional moron, or just a gifted amateur?"
- "It's my constitutional right, fool!"
- "Come on, do I look like a gangster? I'm a businessman!"
- "What kind of license you got? Fishing license?"
- A subset of the above dialogue is the snippets of songs he sings during his Idle Animation:
- "WARM IT UP KANE, WARM IT UP CJ!"
- "Never gonna get it never gonna get it... biatch."
- "Young heaaarts, be freeee, toni- wait, what?"
- Getting CJ really fat makes him say things like this:
- "You wanna look like swiss cheese?"
- "Yeah, fat fool's packin', bitch!"
- "Lunch money!"
- The second half of the final scene in the Johnson house.
Rosenberg enters with Madd Dogg, Maccer and Kent Paul. Sweet, CJ, and Cesar pull their pistols.
Rosenberg: Whoa, whoa. I come in peace with Mr. Dogg here who has an announcement.
Madd Dogg: My - I mean, OUR first gold record!
Everyone starts cheering.
Maccer: And I've decided to get breast implants.
Paul: Shut up, will ya?
He leads Maccer off into the kitchen.
CJ: Anyway, what's next?
Kendl: We should hit the casinos, roll some dice with Woozie.
Sweet: Nah, we gotta take care of shit here first.
Madd Dogg: We goin' on tour, fan!
Rosenberg: Has anyone got a tissue? My nose is...it just won't stop running - anybody?
Maccer: Yeah, I 'ave. Over 'ere.
Rosenberg: Uh...I'll pass.
- When Lazlow interviews OG Loc on Entertaining America:
OG Loc : I've been gangbanging since I was three. Ice cold killaaaa!
Lazlow: Excuse me? Gangbanging? I never really understood that, I mean, other guys in the room while you- ergh!
- Kent Paul tries to get Maccer to stop his self-gratification for a few minutes, but it doesn't work:
- Anything and everything on WCTR. You'd be lying if you didn't listen to it just to laugh.
- This conversation between CJ and Zero:
Zero: Berkley is back!!
CJ: Ooooh, Berkley...
CJ: Who the fuck is Berkley?
Zero: Just a man I once beat in fair competition. A man literally obsessed with revenge.
CJ: Oh! You put hands on him?
Zero: NO! Please... I never initiate violence.
CJ: Oh, I know - you knocked his bitch!
Zero: No... I won the prize in a science fair. First prize that is!
CJ: And now he wanna pop you? ...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! And they say gangbangers is petty and small minded!
- Lonely Hearts on WCTR. Exhibit A:
Caller: I wish my dog could talk and cuddle me all night...
Fernando: YOU! Stay away from animals! It's not legal, not even for me!
- The fact that Woozie is the best shot, next to the player (even then depending on the player), in the game! Yeah! Woozie.
- The scene where CJ tells Woozie he's afraid of swimming:
CJ: When I was a kid, swimming out to Santa Maria, I once got a condom stuck to my face.
- Another CJ/Woozie scene where Woozie manages to beat CJ in a driving video game.
- The chats between CJ and Catalina are mostly just hilarious, especially while driving during missions. Bonus points if playing unfitting radio music. (e.g playing country music while Catalina insults CJ for going soft.)
- During the first part of "Breaking the bank at Caligula's", after you get the triads in, Woozie says "Ok team, I've gone over the layout of this place so I know it back to front. Everybody follow me!" Cue him walking straight into a wall, and claiming that the casino owners have changed the layout.
- CJ goes to visit Smoke and after getting to the door Tenpenny walks out. After a beat he leans in and yells "BOO!". CJ's deadpan "Asshole" just caps the moment off.
- Arguably funnier in the Let's Play, where the moment where Tenpenny walks out of Smoke's house, and the moment where he goes "BOO!", is interrupted by a session break! That's got to be the king of all Delayed Reactions.
- In the opening cutscene for the mission "Body Harvest", CJ enters the hotel room the Truth told him to go to, where he finds Tenpenny. Stoned off his ass due to smoking a bong. It goes without saying that Stoned!Samuel L. Jackson is pretty hilarious.
Tenpenny: Truth here is gonna supply you with the finest...*hits bong*...weed.
I got a real do-gooder fuckin' with me,
and I want you to take this little green poison...*hits bong again* and drop it on him! (giggles like a schoolboy)
CJ: (stifled laughter) "Hey what's happening? Oh, is this "undercover training"? Oh no, you must be off duty."
- In the cutscene for Dam and Blast, CJ is kicking extra bystanders out of the room where he is planning his big heist, the only one left is a janitor.
CJ: Hey, what are you still doing here?
Janitor: I live here.
CJ: Oh, ok, you can stay. He actually does stay, all the way through the big heist at Caligula's
- In the mission Stowaway, CJ is required to jump out of a plane with a parachute at the end. It's actually possible to jump out without a parachute. If the player does this, they're treated to an extra cutscene that depicts CJ going splat on a car roof. What did you think was going to happen?!
- Do cheats count? One cheat for the San Andreas has cars float away straight up when hit. Or at an angle if hit as such. Playing handball with a station wagon on the streets of San Fierro and then waving bye-bye as the screaming passengers ascend towards the moon? Utterly magnificent. And here Hillary Clinton was complaining about a hacked sex mod when an easily entered code sends cars full of people asphyxiating miles above the earth.
- Another cheat assigns aircraft characteristics to cars, allowing the player to fly any land-based vehicle like an aircraft. This affect even extends to the tank, making for one of the funnest joyrides in any video game ever.
- Wait for a traffic jam on the highway (or just make one), then blow up a car toward the middle. All the cars around it will explode... and all the ones near those... and all the ones near those... And so on.
- The low flying two-people planes sometimes glitch and crash. This was kept in on purpose by the programmers because it was awesome.
- While obviously keeping all the CMOF's from the Game section, the narrative adds in a few of its own. For starters, there's the whole "Well... shit" Running Gag.
"Well.... tits. She was standing talking with a sista who wasn't nothing special to look at, but even if she had been I wouldn't have noticed her, because... goddamn." It goes uphill from there.
- Subverted one time when he first sees Michelle.
- Shortly after CJ arrives in the countryside, he grabs a motorbike and tries to turn the radio to Radio Los Santos. He then finds out that all of the stations are static-y messes... except for one: K-Rose, the Country Music station. His reaction is priceless.
- Instead of making CJ The Casanova when it came to his long line of girlfriends, it turns each relationship into a Humiliation Conga, having CJ running from one Yandere to another. To summarize the long list:
- Denise Robinson doesn't have a problem with CJ: hell, as part of the Grove Street Families, she loves to do drive-bys on Ballas and Los Santos Vagos!. However, when CJ is exiled from Grove Street by Tenpenny, he doesn't get back in touch with Denise for MONTHS, and forgot about her until he heard the DJ of Radio Los Santos talking about how Denise is phoning in, demanding to know where CJ is.
- Catalina is... well, Catalina.
- Katie Zhan, the sexy hospital nurse, is turned on by life-threatening situations, and CJ walks out on her after she admits being turned on by a horribly mutilated man dying on the way to a hospital.
- Michelle Cannes, the auto mechanic, loves CJ for being a Badass Driver, but busts a gasket after CJ accidentally reveals he's running the garage driving her out of business.
- Helena Wankstein, the Conservative gun-nut who is... slightly obsessed with Democratic "stereotypes" is a serial-killer, who had brutally murdered her former husband for being too "Democratic" for her tastes. CJ steals here car, and explains to her (while driving away at full speed) that he's "Perpetuating a stereotype, you crazy bitch!".
- Barbara Schternvart gives a triple-whammy to CJ after their date: first, she's a cop. Okay, not too bad - as CJ admits "It's kind of a turn-on".. Then, she reveals she has an ex-boyfriend. Okay, we can still work it out, CJ shouldn't have trouble with an ex- Wait, SHE HAS KIDS?!?! CJ doesn't bother waiting for Barb to get his clothes out of the washer before jumping out the window, and running like hell. This resulting conversation with Woozie sums it up:
Carl Johnson: FIRE HAZARD! FIRE HAZARD! OPEN FLAMES NEAR A WOOD SURFACE WITHOUT VENTILATION!! FIRE HAZAAAAAAARD!!Millie Perkins: Please Carl God no I got arrogant I thought I could violate city bylaws please don't shoo- No! NO!Carl Johnson: Time to put yo' fire out, bitch.
- And Millie Perkins... well, that was just a "business relationship".
- The Behind The Scenes chapter with the alternate (and Non-cannon, for the record) method for dealing with Millie is funny. Apparently Carl's biggest Berserk Button is disregarding fire safety.
Sorry Millie, you was fine and you was freaky, but violating fire safety regulations? That shit don't fly for this gangsta. That dog won't hunt, bitch. That dog won't hunt.
- And the resultant final monologue ends with...
So at this point, you've probably already realized that this is either a Behind The Scenes Update with a twist, or that I've completely lost it.
- To top it all of, there's this Editor's Note from the person doing the Let's Play, when about to "explain" the scene:
- At one point, Ryder brings up the idea of getting really rich by betting on horse races to CJ, who promptly shoots him down. Ryder then asks "You know what I could have done with that fucking money?". Cue an image of CJ imagining Ryder dressed as a stereotypical pimp.
- To elaborate, Ryder only came up with the idea because he and CJ were smoking weed, and CJ shot him down is because his Zany Scheme relies on putting big money on long odds. Then after shooting down that idea, CJ is A-OK with robbing the National Guard.
- The whole "Supply Lines..." scene is hilarious.
- In the final showdown with Big Smoke, there's this exchange
- Near the end, Sweet has ordered CJ to go back to Grove colors. He complies with style... or so he thought...
Sweet: Oh shit it's the fucking Riddler.
- The brief scene of Helena watching new coverage of the Los Santos riots...and masturbating furiously all throughout.
- As CJ busts through the wall to Big Smoke's crack palace, he muses that in doing that "[...]with any luck I'd be like that mean bitch from that movie with the aliens...fuck, what was that called?"
- Related to the above example of just shooting the swordsman, CJ doesn't do that... but it's still an Anti-Climax anyway, with a hilarious bit of Reality Ensues for how a Single-Stroke Battle plays out in real life.
" Oh. Well that was kind of a letdown."" He'd run at me screaming that,"AIEEE" shit they did, and I'd punched him right in the face with the hilt, sending him staggering back, blood gushing from his nose, then slashed the katana across his chest, splitting open his chest, feeling his skin and muscle and bone spreading apart as I hit... and he went down."
- The Let's Play often incorporates the "optional side missions" into the overall storyline. Some notably funny examples include...
SFPD Officer: "FREEZE MOTHERFUCKER!!!"CJ: "...Oh You Have GOT To Be Kidding Me!"
- A series of side activities in Los Santos are told as a two part Breather Episode of CJ talking about what he was doing the past month to Sweet, which was ostensibly trying to get a "legit" job. Needless to say, Humiliation Conga doesn't begin to describe how badly that pans out. Crosses over with Crowning Moment of Awesome at the end, where he gives Rocky a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown (thus gaining his respect), and revealing that the last part of the month was CJ spraying all the Tags in Los Santos, and fighting off all the Gang Bangers and CorruptCops trying to stop him - which is where he finally accepts that he's a Grove Street OG at heart, and gets back into the business.
- The Valet side mission is explained with CJ coming back to the Vank Hoff Hotel after Cecil, the head valet there, was an asshole to him during the "555 WE TIP" mission. CJ then proceeds to park pretty much every single car that night, racking up $1000 in tips and leaving the other valets with nothing but lunch money, and then, at the end of the night during tip splitting, he gives it all to the hotel owner, saying he didn't make a buck, effectively screwing everyone else out of their day's pay. He then strikes a deal with Cecil: he will give CJ a cut of his earnings and CJ will not come back and do this all over again every night.
- CJ joining a underground street racing club in San Fierro to network with potential customers... and the first race is on go-karts. It's funny enough with CJ talking about how embarrassing the situation was, but the kicker comes right at the very end when a cop arrests him - keep in mind, this is the ONLY time he's canonically Busted in this Let's Play
- After OG Loc seemingly pulls a Karma Houdini by walking out of the building... he gets some well-deserved Laser-Guided Karma by literally stepping into a Paparazzi ambush, which chews him out for all the phony tricks to become a "gangster" superstar, and broadcasts it all over nationwide television - not just demoting him from superstardom back to being a nobody, but eternally marking him as one of the most loathed and scorned entertainment figures of all time. As CJ wryly notes, "Death would've been kinder"