Funny / GoodFellas
They amused us sometimes.
- The aforementioned violence, obviously. Also, when Henry gives Karen a huge wad of shopping money, and she immediately drops to her knees, and his response is, "Oh, okay..."
- Young Henry shows his mom his new suit. Her response? A horrified look and, "You look like a gangster!"
- The "youth" sequence's Running Gag of a sudden freeze-frame as the narrating Henry gives the punchline.
- "You mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?"
- "I almost had him!"
- "You really are a funny guy!"
- Jimmy and Henry are in Morrie's wig shop, trying to get back some money they lent him while a commercial he made (apparently with said money) is playing on a continuous loop boasting about how his wigs never come off. While Henry pleads with the poor guy, Jimmy stands back and quietly watches the commercial, slowly getting more and more pissed off. Finally he explodes and begins to strangle Morrie with the telephone cord.... causing his wig to fall off! Henry bursts out laughing.
- "They must really feed each other to lions down there because the guy gave the money right up."
- "[Tommy's] so jealous. I mean, if I even look at anyone else, he'll kill me." "That's great."
- After kicking Billy Batts to kingdom come, Jimmy still complains that the "fucking mutt dented my shoes", and Tommy apologizes to Henry: "I didn't want to get blood on your floor" . Some aggravations next to a guy half dead.
- The reburying of Billy Batts. The whole scene is Black Comedy at its finest. After six months of decomposition, one can imagine how horrible the smell and state of the body is. It proves to be too much for Henry, as he pulls himself out of the grave and bends over coughing, on the verge of throwing up. Seeing this, Tommy and Jimmy get the hilarious idea to troll him into puking.
Hey Henry, Henry, hurry up, will ya? My mother's gonna make some fresh peppers and sausage for us! Jimmy:
Hey, Henry, Henry, here's an arm! Henry:
Very funny, guys. Jimmy:
Here's a leg! Tommy:
Here's a wing! (the two laugh at the witticism)
What do you like, the leg or the wing, Henry? Or do ya still go for the ol' hearts and lungs? Henry: (throwing up)
Oh, that's so bad!
- Shortly after getting married, Henry returns home drunk late one night only for Karen's mother to start nagging him for staying out all night and he immediately turns around back to his car only for Tommy to start repeating all the nagging.
- At his son's birthday party Jimmy, the hitman, thief and extortionist, is wearing little conical birthday cap. Better yet he's the only adult wearing one.
- During Henry's narration of what each wiseguy was responsible for for their dinners in prison, he mentions that he felt Vinnie's sauce, while good, had a little too much onion. Immediately after, Vinnie gets into an argument with the others regarding how many onions he's put into the sauce.
- Jimmy is scolding a fellow thug for buying a cool car just after the big heist, even though Jimmy explicitly told everyone not to buy anything big. The scene is pretty tense, until another thug comes in with his girlfriend, who is wearing a very attention-grabbing fur coat. DeNiro's reaction is priceless.
Jimmy: I can't believe this. Are you stupid or what? Excuse me, excuse me. Take it off. (He strips the girl off the coat)
- Jimmy wakes up and hails two law enforcers who felt asleep in their car during a stakeout.
- During the first Spider scene, Tommy asks what movie was the one with Bogart as a cowboy, looking for an opening to make Spider "dance" by shooting at the floor. One of the guys correctly states, "Oklahoma Kid?" while Jimmy absent mindedly suggests "...Shane?" Tommy excitedly shouts, "OKLAHOMA KID!" as he starts to pull his gun out but then stops to look at Jimmy and goes, "Shane...", almost disappointed that Jimmy would say such a dumb answer. To Jimmy's credit, he laughs it off.
- The casual dinner that Tommy's mom gives to the trio while Billy Batts is dying in the trunk of his car (and she's unaware of this, of course). Particularly amusing is Tommy praising his mom's painting of a hunter and his two hunting dogs:
Tommy's mother: Look at this.
Jimmy: It's beautiful.
Tommy: I like this one. One dog goes one way, and the other dog goes the other way.
Tommy's mother: One of them is going east, and the other one is going west, so what?
Tommy: And this guy's saying, "Whaddaya want from me?" The guy's got a nice head of white hair. Look how beautiful. The dog. It looks the same.
- Then it gets funnier because Jimmy and Henry look at the old guy in the painting with the beard and says he looks like Billy Batts and then Tommy joins in saying, "It IS him" and then the camera moves over their shoulder to look at the car in the window where we hear Billy Batts knocking up as usual.
- During Henry's last day as a wiseguy Sandy yells at him for being antsy to leave with the coke she's mixing. He settles her down with some sweet talk, then quietly asks "Is that the last one?" She says yes and he grabs it, stuffs it in a bag, makes a break for the door... then stops to cackle at her before running off.
- The scene of Henry being berated by a narcotics detective at the precinct after getting arrested for drug trafficking is priceless.
What, were you guys grocery shopping? What, are we going to make a cake? Gonna make a fucking cake?
- Some of Frankie's interactions with Tommy are pure comedy gold.
Tommy: [after killing Stacks] What the fuck you looking at? Come on. Make that coffee to go. Let's go.
[Frankie mumbles something and goes to the door with the coffee pot in his hand]
What the fuck are you doing? It's a joke! A joke! Put the fucking pot down! You're gonna take the coffee?
Tommy: Hey Frank, let's chop him (Morrie's corpse) up.
Frankie: All right. [starts to get out of the car]
Tommy: Where you going? Where you going, you dizzy motherfucker, you?
Frankie: I think you said to chop him up.
Tommy: Up at Charlie's, not here! Where the fuck are we gonna chop him here?
Frankie: Charlie's! [mumbles to himself in Italian]
Frankie: The car's cold.
Tommy: Get the fuck outta here! What fucking warm enough?! Get outta here!