- The scene where he finds the new chocolates on the pillows he had just been sitting on and then, after running all over 1408, fails to come up with an explanation as to how it occurred.
- Samuel L. Jackson tries to bribe Mike with a bottle of eight hundred dollar liquor to get him to not stay in the room. Mike accepts, takes a sip and...
Mike: I'm still staying in that room.
Olin: Goddammit to hell!
- Mike screams "WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?!" into his minifridge.
- And then he starts expunging the contents of the minifridge in the most hilarious way possible.
- "I want...my DRINK!"
- Mike being shocked by the prices of the stuff in the minifridge.
"Eight dollars for beer nuts? This room is evil."
- The following exchange between Olin and Mike:
Olin: So you don't smoke...do you drink?
Mike: Of course, I just said I was a writer.
- After Mike furiously scrambles out of the air vent trying to escape from whatever was crawling around in there and slams onto the floor, he says "It's good to be back."
- "Let's Encyclopedia Brown this bitch."
- "If something should happen, if I should slip and fall, I want it known that it was an accident. The room did not win." The irony being that if he was to fall from 13th floor his recorder would sure as hell break apart into pieces.
- When Mike first enters 1408, there's a lot of buildup. A dramatic shot of Mike turning the key to unlock the door, the room initially cloaked in darkness, a panning shot of the room with tense music... until the music cuts out and Mike says, "This is it? You gotta be kidding me."
- In a twisted sense, the call from the "hotel receptionist" Mike gets after the clock resets to 60, especially because the voice maintains a warm, friendly tone throughout:
Mike: Why don't you just kill me?Phone: "Because all guests of this hotel enjoy free will, Mr. Enslin. You can choose to relive this hour over and over, or you can take advantage of our express checkout system."
- Enslin insulting Mr. Olin on his tape (describing him as "the hideous Mr. Olin") for absolutely no reason. In the ending where Enslin dies Olin himself thinks it's Actually Pretty Funny!
The Short Story
- In the original novel, the menu sequence begins like this.
- The stuff about the Turnpike Wolves is disturbing, but also pretty funny.
- In the short story, there's something darkly hilarious about almost everything Mike winds up saying.
Orpheus on the Orpheum Circuit.Fuming oranges.That's not a real plum. That's a plastic plum.