open/close all folders
- Sella and Liz are pretty funny. While Sella is overly serious, Liz is pretty laidback. Sella is also always getting pissed when Shirou takes over her job.
- Ruby loves teasing Rin and Illya. The very first episode/chapter is already full of it.
- Ruby and Sapphire are basically Kaleidostick versions of (happy) Kohaku and Hisui. Which is why they are voiced by their respective voice actors in the anime.
- Rin is still the same old tsundere. And she is still constantly broke. Luvia on the other hand is still stupidly rich.
- Rin and Luvia's bickering from other Fate/ related works is also still kept in.
- Shirou is not the protagonist of this story, but he's still a Chick Magnet. He's also a Butt-Monkey.
- Irisviel. In almost every scene, except when she's talking about the Holy Grail War, she acts like a Cloudcuckoolander and ruins the mood.
- Similarly to Irisviel, if the scene features Illya's friends from school, it's going to be funny. That's just how they work.
- Ruby and Sapphire decided to switch Masters because Rin and Luvia couldn't stop fighting. When they tried to include their respective Class Cards, the Kaleidosticks ended their contracts. Midair. A few hundred meters above the ground.
- Illya's reaction when Ruby showed up to make her into a magical girl:
Ruby: Hello, there! I'm a magical stick of love and justice, Magical Ruby-chan! Do you want to be a magical girl? What do you think? Become a magical girl, join forces, and fight all that I deem evil!Illya: Way too fishy...Ruby: Ah, I bet you think this is way too fishy!
Illya: Don't all magical girls fly?
- When she notices Miyu to be around the same age as her, she immediately figures out that Miyu will transfer to her class the next day. Ruby even lampshades how cliché this development is.
- When Ruby concludes that they need to fly to hit Caster, Rin notes how difficult it is. However, Illya easily flies, because:
- Ruby in general really loves teasing Illya and Rin. There are way too many scenes, but here's an example: In the last third of Episode 1, where the story proceeds to skewer various magical girl tropes, with poor Illya along for the ride while the mildly psychopathic Ruby takes the opportunity to take revenge on Rin. What really makes the whole thing perfect is the brilliant voice acting, never faltering in that sickeningly sweet tone:
Ruby: Very well. Illya-san, point me towards Rin-san while saying "damn you" in your head.Illya: Um. (points Ruby at Rin) *half-hearted* Damn yoooouuu.Rin: (Rin's getting electrocuted) AAAAAHHHHH!Illya: (shocked) Whoa, it shot something!Ruby: Fufu. Illya-san's answer is as follows: "I'm not giving this stick to anybody. Go back to where you came from, you twintailed hag!"Illya: I didn't say that!Rin: (starts shooting Gandr shots) WHAT WAS THAT FOR!? TAKE THIS!
- There are so many Mythology Gags in this series. For instance, at the end of the first chapter, instead of Saber asking whether Shirou is her Master...
Rin: From now on, you will be my Servant!
- Illya is getting really excited when she finds a letter addressed to her. Ruby immediately thinks it's a love letter and Illya is getting all flustered and blushes. When she opens the letter:
Rin: Tonight at midnight, come to the highest point in the schoolyard. If you don't show up, I'll come for you.[cut to Illya and Ruby showing very disappointed faces]Ruby: Shall we go home, Illya-san?Illya: Yeah.
- Rin's "love letter" is a reference to the Heaven's Feel route, where Shirou receives a very similar letter from Rin. Note
- In episode two, Ruby tries to teach Illya how to use a magical girl's strongest weapon. Illya is supposed to do a twirl, place her fingers on her cheeks and give a nice smile. When she tries it a few times and still doesn't see any weapon:
Ruby: Very cute indeed.Illya: You are just making fun of me! Ruby, you are definitely making fun of me!Ruby: What are you talking about? A magical girl's number one weapon is her cuteness!Illya: I've never heard of something like that!
- Illya does her transformation in a restroom because it happens in real-time, with all the music and light effects, and she finds it extremely embarrassing.
- Illya has no idea how to fight the Rider card. So when Ruby tells her to make some distance, she immediately runs away.
- Miyu is way too intelligent for an Elementary School student to the shock of everyone, including Taiga. Miyu's confused look when told there was no need to solve for the volume of a cone with an integral is priceless.
- Chapter/Episode 4 starts with Illya, Miyu, Rin and Luvia jumping into the Mirror World to retrieve the next card. 5 minutes/one page later they are back in the real world, utterly defeated.
- "RUBY EYE POKE!" (never try to bully her little sister Sapphire)
- "RUBY DUAL CHOP!"
- "RUBY FOREHEAD FLICK!!"
- Illya can fly without any difficulties because she assumes it's natural for magical girls. So what happens when Luvia orders Miyu to do the same?
Miyu: Human beings... are not meant to fly!
- And what does Luvia decide to do when Miyu is having difficulties with learning it? She throws Miyu out of a freaking helicopter!
- The Anime gives us, Don't Think, Imasine!!!◊ Though it's fixed in the Blu-ray release.
- Luvia is accusing Rin to be stingy because Rin used less jewels to finish off Caster. Rin may not be poor, but she is nowhere near Luvia's level of wealthiness.
- Illya and Miyu Take a Third Option and throw their sticks to Rin and Luvia to save them and defeat Saber Alter. When the two of them become temporary magical girls, Ruby starts the teasing again:
Ruby: But as usual... Aren't you embarrassed to wear such clothes at your age...?Rin: (starts smashing Ruby on the ground) Aren't you the one who forced me to! Wear! This!
- During the intense fight between Archer Illya and Saber Alter, from the ground, Sapphire appears and acts very out of character:
Sapphire: ARE YOU ALRIGHT, MIYU-SAMA?!
- Episode 6's ED card: Go Back to Camelot and take your clones with you!◊
- Illya really has strange dreams...
Illya: When I grow up, I want to be a cat...
- And when she does wake up, she's extremely bored because she has a fever and can't do anything besides sleeping.
- The first scene that usually comes to mind is Illya utterly freaking out over Miyu's maid uniform. When Illya sees Miyu in her uniform, she talks about a strange switch in a similar way she narrated her fight against Saber Alter, and ends up mounting Miyu while wearing an expression◊ that would be more appropriate on a psychotic thrill-killer than a girl who thinks maids are cute. Poor Miyu. Then again, Miyu's face is kinda... orgasmic (?)
Illya: Please forgive me. It's the fault of that strange switch.
- Ruby even scolds Illya for overdoing it and tells Illya to apologize:
- Then Illya asks Miyu to wash her and begins to strip. Suddenly, Illya's friends show up and of course immediately misunderstand the situation.
- Sapphire is sending her memories via USB-port to Ruby to show her how Illya managed to defeat Saber, though Ruby is acting rather funny.
Sapphire: ...Ruby: Haa, haa... You didn't play along, Sapphire-chan. Nee-chan is lonely...Sapphire: No need for dumb games, nee-san.
- Illya almost killed everyone when she nuked Assassin. How does she react when she remembers this and how she defeated the previous card? She teleports away and leaves everyone else dumbfounded.
- Illya is very depressed after Rin relieved her from her magical girl duties. Then her mother Iri shows up out of nowhere and wants to take a bath with Illya "to improve [their] mother-daughter relationship".
- Iri acts very serious when she reveals things about Illya's hidden power. When Illya asks for more details:
Illya: Mama... you knew? About my power? Then tell me! What is that power? What do I-Iri: (shrugs) Who knows?Illya: Wha... Don't play dumb so suddenly, Mama!Iri: Well... it's like the saying "It's meaningless if you don't realize it on your own" or "it is too early for that", don't you agree?Illya: What the hell!?Iri: (chops Illya) Aaaaah, geez!! Don't argue with me!Illya: DVExplanation !?
- Miyu seems to cling on Illya a bit too much the day after they retrieved all cards. Whether she only sees Illya as her Heterosexual Life-Partners or whether there is more is up to debate.
Miyu: The only friend I'll have for life is you. Other people don't matter, do they?Nanaki: What are you saying!?Suzuka: And that's a very strange way to interpret friendship!Illya: (I-I don't get it! Well, that's nothing new, but I have no idea at all what Miyu is thinking!)
Tatsuko: Damn you, Illya! You unlocked the Miyu route that we wanted to get!
- Also, another attempt from Tatsuko to break the fourth wall:
- Luvia manages to steal Rin's Class Cards and flees on a helicopter to get all the credit and become Zelretch's pupil. What does Rin do? She brings down the helicopter and lets Luvia kiss the ground. And then she is told that both her and Luvia need to learn some manners and stay in Japan for another year. Cue enraged Rin destroying her phone.
- Illya recognizing just a second too late that "I thought you were my brother" is really not the best excuse for why you just surprise-French-kissed someone.
Leysritt: Maidenly screams so early in the morning?
- The anime version is priceless. Illya wakes up out of her dreamlike state to find her vision filled with Miyu's bright-red face. Everything is dead-silent and totally still, until Miyu tries to stammer Illya's name, and...
- Rin and Luvia bickering and complaining throughout the entirety of Illya and Miyu's transformation.
- Chloe falls into the same sinkhole trap that Rin and Luvia had fallen into previously. Rin and Luvia, who Chloe had mocked for their apparent obvious trap setting, get to share the last laugh at Chloe's expense, calling Chloe an idiot and sending her into tears of humiliation and rage. Funniest of all is that in her fit of laughter, Rin even says "Who could be so stupid as to fall into that?"
- Iri pulls off a giant fist made out of strings to silence Chloe after she almost attacked Iri. Then she proceeds to do the same with Illya just because. Chloe is seen with two bumps because she shares Illya's pain.
- Chloe tries to flirt with Shirou. To stop her, Illya starts smacking herself (since she has the shared pain seal). Shirou is completely bewildered. It's especially hilarious in the anime:
Chloe: D-Don't worry. It's nothing, Onii-cha-*smack*-BWAH!
Shirou: Huh? T-Tohsaka? And Luvia?
- Then Rin and Luvia show up to take Kuro away... and see Shirou.
Cue pink bubles and a sparkling effects
Luvia: (Blushing) Shero...?
Rin: (Also blushing) Emiya-kun...?
Illya and Chloe (thinking) WHAT'S WITH THAT REACTION?!
- Illya's friends again. Highlights in this season include:
- Extreme Dodgeball.
- Calming Tatsuko down by putting a bag over her head as though she were a scared horse... and it works.
- The net result of their attempts to make Illya into an elegant big sister. To explain: they give her a soft cone-like hairdo, with a Gunpla underneath. Chloe's blank face explains it all.
- Chapter 12 of Zwei. The cooking duel chapter. The whole damn chapter, barring maybe six or so pages. Particularly any moment Tatsuko is on-panel.
- Chloe stealing the Sacred First Kiss of all of Illya's friends, causing all of them to pile up on the rooftop and demanding compensation. Of all people, Taiga is also among them and looks the most depressed.
You kissing demon!
Illya: Mimi! Mimi, are you okay?!Mimi: Wow~... So many pansies~...Illya: S-She passed out? W... Was the kiss that amazing?!
- Later, Tatsuko complains again, namely because she wanted to have her Sacred First Kiss with her older brother (though it's not clear which of the two). She gets immediately compared to Illya, who is not happy about that.
- We actually get to see Chloe have her way with poor Mimi, as well as the aftermath. While Chloe is talking to herself about not getting as much mana as she wanted despite how many people she's 'drained', Mimi is in an epic state of Post-Kiss Catatonia, complete with swirly eyes, beet-red face, and letting out cute little whimpered moans as she sits there in a total daze.
- Chapter 5 has Miyu's defence wall made of brooms rammed into the ground.
- 2wei Interlude. Luvia absolutely freaking out at the idea of spending night at the Einzberns' house (with Shirou). To put in perspective: She somehow connects sleepover at his house with sleeping with him in same bed, "doing the deed", getting pregnant, and having Shotgun Wedding.
Rin: No, that isn't right...
- Why does Shirou look like a muppet?◊
- Really, Luvia has some interesting ideas about sex and certain terms. When she and Rin successfully put the shared pain seal on Kuro, she declares that Kuro is "now Illya's meat slave". Illya, Miyu and Rin are utterly mortified.
- 2wei, Chapter 13, Illya and Chloe kissing in a stairwell to restore Chloe's prana—and Mimi seeing them and absolutely freaking out.
- 2wei Chapter 18/19 is chock full of em... but the best is Mimi's horrid reaction to Illya and Shirou's forbidden moment, Ruby having drugged Shirou despite Illya's protests with a love potion!
- Right before that, Ruby accidentally injects Shirou with a truth serum. He promptly starts being brutally honest with anyone he sees, starting with talking about Luvia's huge breasts being overwhelming, Rin's skirt being too short to cover the cloth underneath, Issei's eyes being scary sometimes, and "elementary schoolers these days are so well-developed", much to the horror of Illya's schoolmates. Ruby then injects everyone except Illya and Shirou with powerful sedatives that make them look like golden Buddha statues. Except Tatsuko, who turned into an Asura statue instead, and even growling the background in the anime. Mimi wasn't sedated because Ruby forgot she even existed!
- Chapter 5 opens with a towel-wearing Luvia with just a Scenery Censor. The description to that? "A young woman with a dynamite body!!!"
- Chapter 24 has the Eighth Card running loose in the city, and Caren appeared to help put most people within the area to sleep to keep the happening secret. Before leaving, Illya turns toward Caren to ask a question with extremely serious intent: why isn't Caren wearing a skirt? Her answer and everyone's reaction is... priceless.
- 2wei Herz episode 2 with Shirou and Issei has manga panels of the two of them drawn in an incredibly Bishōnen style as they discuss how much Issei likes the lunches Shirou brings. Suzuka is drooling and taking notes while Mimi blushes furiously and slowly approaches the camera.
- Later that episode, Miyu and Illya are having a touching moment while in the background someone is advertising popsicles. Chloe turns to yell at them and sees Bazett.
Illya: YOU'RE STILL HERE?!
- Speaking of Bazett, when everyone is arguing over who gets Illya's "sisterhood", Bazett is rather aggressively trying to sell popsicles.
- In Herz' first episode, Miyu pulls out a rainbow-sparkling credit card from Luvia, which causes Illya's friends to bow down in worship of her and saying how glad they are to be friends with Miyu. Miyu then doesn't waste even a single second to ask "When did I become friends with you?"
- Herz' episode 4: Miyu underestimating the power of a roller coaster and then screaming from the bottom of her lungs. This is especially funny since it clearly shows that Miyu is Not So Stoic after all. The same episode has Caren at a "lost child" center, giving her usual comedic Child Hater vibe. There are also two children other than the group who look creeped out at the happenings. The girl even looks like Nanako!
- After meeting Child Gilgamesh and accidentally squeezing his crotch a few times, Illya and Miyu hide and ask him to cover himself out of shame. His response?
Illya and Miyu: W-Worldwide!
Kid Gilgamesh: Jeez, I should be the one screaming...Illya: ItoucheditItouchedItoucheditItouched it! I SQUEEZED IT!!!
- Then after trying to cover up his nether regions with a leaf (to Illya and Miyu's disapproval) he goes fishing into the Gate of Babylon for his clothes, while getting shot at by Illya!
- The initial bit of Kid-Gil's reveal is hilarious. After inadvertently tackling him out of his dark half, Illya struggles to figure out what happened before the dust settles. She notices that her hand is grasping "something soft". She looks, sees exactly what she's touching, and in her ensuing epic freak-out she fires an enormous barrage of mana bolts at him while screaming, as he runs for his life.
- Funnily enough, the cover page for this chapter has a dialogue balloon censoring Gil's crotch, and it's even smaller than before!
- The opening of the 3rei anime has maid!Luvia getting her top ripped off, to her embarrassment. It's amusing enough on its own, but the incident it's referencing, where Illya rips off her top when she's Brainwashed and Crazy, is even funnier, as Luvia in that state has no sense of modesty and thus spends a large period of time topless, much to her embarrassment when she finally gets her mind back.
- Kotomine Kirei◊, Mapo Chef Master◊. That is all.
Kirei: Rejoice, young girl. You gain an entire day worth of nutrition from this.
- After threatening Illya to finish her mapo, he lets out this gem of a quote:
Illya: A ramen chef shouldn't have this kind of blood lust!!
- After realizing Illya can't pay for her food, he threatens her to pay with her body (as a soup stock).
- The first side chapter of 3rei (third episode of 2wei Herz). "Things have been intense lately. So let's have a chapter on boys' love instead."
- Particularly the revelation that cute, innocent lil' Mimi has become a complete and utter pervert. "And then they *** with their *** and they did the ***!"
- And not only that, but the example picture when Chloe's explaining the boy's love genre is a silhouette of Kirei and Kiritsugu. There are no words.
- For a second, smaller funny during the main one, we have the girls taking a peek at the manga Suzuka handed them to "explain what BL is", and Illya absolutely freaking out. And for the whole rest of the scene, as Illya and Chloe share dialogue, Miyu is intently reading the doujin in the background.
- After Suzuka's elder sister explains that they know Boy's Love is a fantasy and will eventually settle down with a boyfriend, Mimi says she isn't planning on it. When told she's a little young to settle for forever alone, she explains:
Mimi: I just think boys should love boys and girls should love girls!(Beat)Mimi: Why are you all running away!? WAIT!
- "Nakata!" "TANAKA!"
- After Chloe has Illya pull herself together by making it so that she realizes her own strength in Chapter 8, she collapses from a lack of mana. So she takes it from Illya via kiss, pulling her down and them wrapping her legs around her back so she can't get away. She kisses her so hard she loses all three of the Class Cards she has installed at the time.
- In the next chapter, Gilgamesh pulls out a hot spring Noble Phantasm from the Gate of Babylon.
- Tanaka copies what she had seen on the rooftop to Illya to express her thanks, while Bazett blushing furiously and stated that their relationship and sexuality is not her place to comment.
- After discovering Illya has been kidnapped, Chloe and Bazett run to find Gilgamesh and make plans with him. They find him... lying naked in a canopy bed he presumably pulled out of the Gate of Babylon, complaining about needing his beauty sleep. Chloe, completely unamused, projects an oversized paper fan.
- Gilgamesh: Oh! I've seen those paper fans before! Wait, you're not seriously thinking of using such a tacky thing on my head-[SLAP!!]
- Then there's his response:
- Gilgamesh: rubbing a bump on his head You know... when I'm an adult again the first thing I'm going to do is kill you.
- Everything about the period of time when Illya is stuck inside a stuffed doll is absolutely hilarious, demonstrating how just plain weird the Ainsworths are when the tone isn't nearly as serious. Especially Beatrice's otaku bedroom filled with nothing but self-made Julian merch and stuffed dolls stolen from Erika. Illya spends the entire time in there both utterly bewildered and utterly mortified.
- Shirou is freed and fighting with Kuro against Angelica. Along the way he noticed how Miyu is dressed in her magical girl form. His reaction sells it.
- Shirou: But... Um... What's with that lewd outfit of hers? I think big brother here may need to lecture her...
- It's even better. Illya's Sapphire Install is just as revealing as Miyu's... which means Sapphire is a Covert Pervert!
- After cleaving the massive cube at the center of the crater with the mysterious sword* , Illya declared that victory is in their hands now... only for the sword to revert into a literal hand. Hilarity ensues as Illya noticed that the hand is flashing a peace sign!
- Right after Illya and Kuro remember that they left Tanaka behind at the school, once they get there and return Tanaka's arm, Tanaka excitedly claims that she actually remembers something important. It's actually just a summarized version of all the exposition about the state of the planet that everyone else already knows about. Illya and Kuro call her a disappointment, much to Tanaka's dismay.
- After escaping from the reveal-tastic battle against the Ainsworths, everything related to Tanaka's detached hand is hilarious. From Illya freaking the hell out as it skitters in pursuit of her, and obviously being given some major willies as it crawls all over her; to the hand surprise-groping Illya & Chloe in the bath; to when Tanaka rejoins the group, and as she's chewing Illya out for forgetting her the hand is floating behind Illya and repeatedly whacking her in the head.
- Manga-only, when Illya & Kuro are bathing only to be 'attacked' by the hand, Ruby and Sapphire are floating outside the open bathroom window, with the former producing a video camera to record the girls bathing... and then Illya chucks the hand out the window and it smacks into Ruby (who she didn't even know was there). Sapphire cheerfully declares this "a new form of anti-peeping".
- Miyu, the ever-serious, ever-stoic member of the group... revealed to be a little girl who loves having her brother spoil her, and wearing cutesy animal-themed onesie pajamas. And then responding to discovering Illya & Chloe eavesdropping by turning bright-red and repeatedly thwacking Chloe over the head with a pillow.
- The interactions between Miyu's Shirou and Julian during the flashback sequence are comedy gold, complete with trolling each other. It's like Shirou and Shinji in main continuities, except this Shirou can retort back.
- The snowball fight with Illya and Miyu vs. Kuro and Tanaka. The former are on the ropes, as Kuro has Tanaka on her side (turns out Tanaka has an astoundingly good throwing arm), but then Illya calls in... Angelica, who uses her displacement magecraft to send all of the opposing team's snowballs back at the opposing team. Then to add insult to injury, Illya calls in Bazett, who can pitch snowballs hard enough to smash through walls.
- Even better is that Angelica and Bazett entered the snowball fight in the same way a servant would be summoned by their Master, in this case Illya, for a Holy Grail War.
Chloe: (referring to how Angelica came when Illya called her) She actually got summoned?!Bazett: (after Illya asks her to join in) Bazett Fraga McRemitz shall answer to your summoning.
- Even better is that Angelica and Bazett entered the snowball fight in the same way a servant would be summoned by their Master, in this case Illya, for a Holy Grail War.
- In the wake of 45's snowball fight, Chapter 46 starts with Illya, Kuro, Tanaka, and Miyu soaking wet. Rin has to hurry them into the baths before they freeze. Later in the chapter, we get to see the brief shot of the butch, short-haired, suit-favoring Bazett utterly mortified at being put into one of Luvia's (rather frilly) dresses.
- Angelica in girl's clothes being so atomically hot that she gets called a male virgin killer. Miyu takes this seriously thinking Shirou will actually die if he looks at her. Later during an otherwise serious moment, everyone present sans Tanaka and Bazett can tell that Shirou is ogling her.
- Dinner, Bath, or Sella?
- Shirou's WTF reaction is what sells it.
- Illya and Chloe argue the finer points of bras and how they effect breast size/growth
- Liz fails to see a correlation.
- Ruby enters simulation mode to see how other female characters would act as magical girls. She starts with Sella, who would use magical powers for housework, then Liz, who would use Ruby as a remote and to heat ramen. Then Taiga, and finally Bazett. Only Ruby's reaction to the last one is shown.
- The girls discuss what they overheard between Taiga and another teacher and mistake it as Taiga betting her body over who wins at the next School Festival.
Suzuka: So to sum it up, if we lose *dramatic pose* Taiga will become his meat-slave!*everyone looks at her like she's really stupid*