- When Walenski says "Don't worry! I know a way out!" and then jumps in front of a subway train I burst out laughing. It was a perfect example of Black Humor.
- Bumstead inspecting Walenski's Office Full of Crazy. For this troper, it was the deadpan, "I'm being punished for my sins, aren't I?" and the reaction to the fact that the stacks of paper have been lined with mouse-traps: "Nothing like a bit of healthy paranoia..."
- A lower class husband spends dinner complaining about his boss. Then things get changed to him being the boss, and he complains about his employees.
- While Schreber is being bullied by Mr. Book:
Schreber: Maybe you've finally found what you're looking for, and it's going to bite you on your — aahh!!
- Even though Dr. Schreber has assisted the heroes by this point, John still has a dark little smirk when he destroys his metal constraining device and causes him to fall flat on the floor.