- In Sapphire Stone, Daring's encounter with Ahuizotl's ferocious felines, including a tiger, a panther, a cheetah, a bobcat... and a cute white kitten.
- In order to give Daring time to recover the Goblet, Storm Talon and Platinius distract a large cadre of Night Wings by pretending to be pirates.
Platinius: I can't believe that worked.
Storm Talon: I told you, the enmity between pirate and ninja runs pretty bucking deep.
- This joke is revisited in Cove Of Candles when, on Short Stuff's insistance, she and the Swinndell sisters try sneaking past the pirates as ninjas. It doesn't go as well, but works anyway because the pirates end up distracted by their debate on whether or not real-life ninjas go "Nin nin nin" and if turtles would make good ninjas.
- In Curse of the Yeti, during the Yeti's attack on the University orchestrated by Ahuizotl's minions, Ahuizotl puts Daring in his most fiendish trap yet: the University staff room's filthy refrigerator. Made all the better by Daring's real and legitimate terror at being literally Stuffed into the Fridge:
Please! Not the fridge!
Not the fridge, it's disgusting! Please Ahuizotl, I'm begging you, if Celestia gave you an ounce of mercy, put me in any death trap you want, but please don't put me in that fridge!!!
- Earlier, when Daring and Herpy attempt to hide from said attack in the University's geology lab. After a brief cutaway to Tabula and Rayback, the plot returns to the lab, and Daring checks the door to see if the coast is clear. It isn't, but:
Daring: Herpy, when I say run, run.
Herpy: Have you thought up some clever plan, Professor?
Daring: Yes, Herpy, I believe I have.
Herpy: What are you going to do?
Daring: Buck a rock at it.
- As the previous/subsequent moment indicates, this one didn't end well.
- Ghoul Dachshund's reaction to seeing Ahuizotl for the first time is priceless.
: Some might say that seeing a huge mythological monster with bug-eyes and a hand on it's tail is probably a good reason to stop drinking.
I say it's a darn good reason to keep
- Daring one-upping Herpy at his own job in The Wooden Mask.
: Is she trying to make me look like an idiot? Calypso
: AWWK! Too late!
- Daring's behavior around Desert Rose, after experiencing the Eyes of Fatima personally.
- As part of their emerging individuality, Gardens of Equestria contained more scenes where Dr. Caballeron’s henchponies showed off their personality. Each of them got a personal crowning moment:
- Rough Stuff’s came when they first entered the garden. Rough Stuff began to wax philosophical about plants and the earth and earth pony magic and the interconnectedness of nature, going on for about a page and a half, only to glance at the other three and discover they’ve been using the pause to have tea.
Rough Stuff: Have you even been listening to me?
Snazzy Shades: [buttering a slice of toast] You were talking?
- Snazzy Shades’s came when the four of them were trying to solve a plant-related puzzle and Dr. Caballeron had to relate the story of Narcissus to them. Snazzy Shades spends most of the story admiring his reflection in a nearby pond… until the part where Narcissus stabs himself in the heart. Then Snazzy Shades screams and clutches his chest.
Snazzy Shades: What did he do that for?!
Dr. Caballeron: Um… because he realized he could never love anypony more than himself.
Snazzy Shades: And so he marred his beautiful coat with his own blood? Why? Why would he hurt the one he loves? Why?
Dr. Caballeron: Okay, maybe he didn’t do that. Some versions claimed he just kept staring at his reflection. Forever.
Snazzy Shades: Oh, good. [goes back to looking at his reflection] How wonderful for him. To spend an eternity with the one he loves…
Interrobang: And then he died of starvation.
Snazzy Shades: [dreamily] …and stepped straight from heaven on earth to heaven in… heaven…
[Interrobang grabs his tail and drags him away from the pond]
Snazzy Shades: No! Stop! I wasn’t finished yet!
- And as for Interrobang… while the fire that ravages the garden is mostly Played for Drama, it was caused by Interrobang’s comical and desperate attempts to burn a vine that kinda looked like a snake to death. The Gardener was not happy.
- The entire chase through the Shanghay marketplace in Cove of Candles between Daring, Short Stuff, Miss Starlight, Swinn and Dell, and the Hoofstapo agents. The entire scene, from Daring outwitting her pursuers by hiding among the street vendors, to Short Stuff being chased by a burning, exploding fireworks cart, to Starlight commandeering Swinn and Dell's motorized wagon and using it to turn the tables on her chasers, to Swinn and Dell repeatedly hitting the same agent by accident with a heavy kettle (and always apologizing to him), is pure comedy gold.
- Also is Ahizotl's reaction to Short Stuff biting his tail-hand;
What came out of Ahuizotl's mouth was not so much a cry of pain but a sonic explosion; A rapidly-expanding sphere of sound whose range soon covered all of Equestria. Birds in the Everfree Forest suddenly flew away from their perch. In her orbiting prison, Nightmare Moon wondered, "What the hay is that noise?"
- From the same book, the scene where Swinn and Dell try their usual con-games on Starlight, who claimed earlier that she was un-scam-able.
You two must really think I'm a moron, don't you? Swinn and Dell: Yes.
- While in Shanghay, one of Blackmane's minions introduces the Squad of Mooks sent to kill Daring: a fully-outfitted barbershop quarter that begin singing Candle on the Water as their introduction. Made even better by the fact that, while Daring and company are staring in dumbfounded silence, with no reason or prompting whatsoever, Starlight (who visibly Squees upon seeing the quartet) immediately joins the song.
- This Getting Crap Past the Radar scene in Cove of Candles, particularly if you know a certain word that rhymes with "Mastication..."
Daring: I have trouble with words that sound alike.
Dell: Me too! I used to think %^&*@!&^$#%&!^ meant chewing your food!
(All stare in stunned silence)
Dell: I... don't anymore...
Daring: ...Let's just keep moving.
Swinn: (To Dell) How do you eat?
- This gem from ‘’Trident of the Seaponies’’. While waiting for Dr. Caballeron to come back with a submarine, his three henchponies spot a member of the royal guard and are trying to hide from him in a seaside trinket shop.
’’’Royal Guard:’’’ What do you think you’re doing?
Interrobang: I’m… holding up this vase, of course. What does it look like I’m doing?
Royal Guard: I see. So you normally hold vases right next to your head when guards walk by?
Interrobang: Well, I’m obviously not stealing the vase, okay? Why would I steal this vase? It’s cheap and badly painted! Seriously, why would I steal it?
Royal Guard: …I didn’t say anything about stealing it. You did.
Interrobang: Ulp… b-but why ‘’would’’ I steal it? I just said… l-look, actually, I’m, uh, hired to hold this vase up. To display store wares.
Royal Guard: You’re trying to tell me you were hired to hold that vase in front of your head?
Interrobang: What can I say… Mr., uh, Knick-Knacks is a really eccentric guy.
- At one point in Temple of Nightmare Moon, Professor Storm Talon gets so mad he drops such a massive multilingual Cluster B Bomb that Daring claims he just used every swear word known in Equestria. When he realizes he'll start repeating himself, he proceeds to make new ones just to keep cursing.
- It becomes a Brick Joke later when Daring finds out he proceeded to invent a new language just so he could make up new obscenities.
- Bonus points: Daring uses it as her own personal code in several important correspondence.
Random pony overhearing Daring reading aloud: Excuse me, but why do you sound like you're swearing in griffon?
- It loses some of its charm when you find out just what Nagridge said to provoke that level of obsession.
- Diamond Dog commander Moonbarker's epic Oh Horseapples when he realizes that Super Serum or no Super Serum, he and what's left of his horde are helpless against Laurentia of the Red Mane.
- Even Sebastius Mareton gets in on the action: he has very high propensity for Non-Sequitur Thuds when injured, usually referencing an unknown pony named Marv. For example, during Temple of Nightmare Moon:
Mareton: (After having several ribs broken by Bravado) Deal the cards, Marv! Shut up and deal the cards!
- Early on in Temple of Nightmare Moon, Professor Nagridge needs to get Daring out of the way, so she makes a move to plant blackmail material on her. Page and Header help Nagridge, but while doing so, they get into one of their discussions on mythological fights, this time between Nightmare Moon and Tirek. Nagridge tells them to shut up... and that Nightmare Moon needed the more powerful artifact to be defeated.
- In Legacy of Nightmare Moon, Herpy suggests he and Daring seal themselves inside a fridge to protect themselves against a massive explosion. Daring says she will criticize and point out how stupid that idea is if they survive.
- They do survive. She then proceeds to do exactly that.
- Extra points for the fact that Daring spends so much time staring incredulously at him for that suggestion (presumably hoping that he wasn't being serious), she loses any chance of coming up with another plan.
- Yes, the one time Daring couldn't undo a trap with her hat was a rather dark moment, but you have to appreciate this line.
- After Daring delivers her Bad Ass line to Inti, - "Prepare to meet Nightmare Moon! IN TARTARUS!" - Coco's response?
Coco: I thought she was on the moon.
- Daring has this really bizarre run-in with a pear vendor in Ponyville. Afterwards?
Daring: [very nonchalant] That was unusual. Well, Storm Talon won't be here for a while; I think I'll go roll.
- Ahuizotl and Dug have this gem of a moment in Shrine of the Silver Monkey, upon Rex informing Ahuizotl that Daring vanished while still tied up, and now they can't find her anywhere.
Ahuizotl: You lost Daring Do. Y-You lo- you lost the- HOW DO YOU LOSE A MARE?!!?
Dug: You... forget to cherish her?
Ahuizotl: (Sighs, pinches bridge of his nose with his tail hand) One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten... Commandant, while your subordinate's surprising chivalry is appreciated, truly, I will be thanking you not to let him give me that image again.
- This line from Ghoul, while discussing the Diamond Dogs' weakness for chocolate:
Daring: Rex and his boys crave the stuff. It's like recovering alcoholics, they crave sugar- no offense, Ghoul.
Ghoul: Oh, I'm not recovering. (swig)
- Bravado usually gets one of these whenever he appears. One of the most notable moments occurs in The Staff of Star Swirl the Bearded. Daring brings up the fact that Bravado seems to run into her a lot considering his adventures being unrelated. Bravado agrees that it's strange and says this:
Bravado: I just assumed that you've been stalking me.
- Daring's reaction is really what makes this exchange hilarious.
- Arthur, King of the Trots. Yes, he was only there for one scene, but horseapples, that was hilarious.
- The entire scene where Linnet stops into the bakery and has a brief interaction with Sweeney. Sweeney is quite rude and snarky to her, so she responds with equal amounts of sarcasm. The Snark-to-Snark Combat is hilarious, though both Sweeney and the reader find it a lot less funny after he finds out she's his daughter.
- The famous scene early in "Trials of Unity" where a Diamond Dog twirls his machete fancifully to intimidate Daring Do. She responds by throwing a really big rock right into his face.
- One of the best known scenes in Ring of the Marengeti in which Daring Do, disguised as a flight attendant, managed to buck a Hoofstapo agent straight out of the airship in front of every passenger on board.
Daring Do: No ticket.
- Mind you the agent wasn't a Pegasus.
- Daring is captured by the Hoofstapo and tells them they'll never find Herpy and the secret map.
: Good luck [finding him]! Herpy's got a two day head start on you, which is more than he needs. He's got friends in every town and village from here to Dream Valley, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom, he'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again. With any luck, he's got the Ring already. Gilligan Cut Herpy
: (totally lost in a market) Does anyone speak Equestrian? Or maybe zebra or ancient griffon?
- Any time an antagonist forgets Darrin's name, which prompts him to go off on this tangent about tips on how to remember it better, halting the action mid-scene.
- Whenever Coco Pie breaks the fourth wall.
- In one of the expanded universe magazine adventures, she literally BREAKS A FOURTH WALL in the museum and finds herself in the room of a young Unicorn reading the books.
- The Unicorn's reaction too. She just blinks and then keeps reading all with a completely straight face. (I guess this isn't the first time Coco's done this.)
- Herpy once argues with Daring and states, "Fine! I'll just go quit and write Daring Do fanfiction!" It gets a Call Back in a later volume too!
- Any time Ahuizotl's Embarrassing Nickname is mentioned.
- Any conversation between Ambassador Hawkwings and Platinius.
- In particular, this little gem of a line:
Platinius: Oh Celestia, why are you laughing; it's everywhere!
- Platinius, to a pony who points out how vastly incompetent Hawkwings is compared to him
Platinius: Well, it's kind of our shtick. For the love of your Celestia, please ruin it.
- This was in reference to Hawkwings' showing up to a meeting late, inebriated, and giving a hilarious rendition of "What Do You Do With A Drunken Griffon".
- At one point, it's suggested to Platinius that they should have Hawkings' brain transplanted, the replacement being a lump of cottage cheese that has become totally solid from age;
- The Running Gag of Herpy consistently getting Swinn and Dell's names wrong every time they meet. Made all the funnier by Swinn getting consecutively angrier and angrier every time it happens. By the time Ring of the Marengeti takes place, Swinn has to be physically restrained from attacking Herpy by Dell.
- In The Ring of Destiny, Daring purposely invokes Foe Romance Subtext with this little gem:
Ahuizotl: The ring, Daring Do! Give it to me!
Daring: Now, Ahuizotl, you know I love you, but I can't give you the ring 'till I've properly proposed.
- Rainbow Dash's reaction makes this all the funnier.
- Rainbow Dash's introduction was hilarious. She makes her presence known by crashing through the roof of the building Daring was in, and landing on the goon Daring was about to fight, knocking him out. Serves as a nice Call Back to Trials of Unity's famous scene as well. Then during their introductions, we get this exchange.
Rainbow: I was just thinking that your adventure would be a lot smoother if you had somepony around to do things like buy your groceries, do your laundry, cook your meals...
Goon: (gets back up) Why you little...
: (punches out goon without looking at him
)...mow your lawn, wash your cart and do your taxes! So I came all the way from Ponyville to meet up with you cause I'm like, your biggest fan ever! And now I'm gonna team up with you on this adventure!
- At the beginning, Storm Talon's reaction when he learns that Noteworthy Smith is dead.
- Most of the temple booby-traps in Saphire Stone are fairly standard and unremarkable. The one with the crocodiles on the ceiling, on the other hand, is as creative as it is ridiculous.
- Each and every time Dr. Caballeron tries to use his teammate’s Weapon of Choice, and misuses it horribly, often resulting in Amusing Injuries. Special mention goes to the time he somehow manages to turn Rough Stuff’s Master Weapon into a large black bomb. And then he just stares blankly at it for the few seconds it takes for the fuse to burn down.