- Guppy's proposal. "My present salary is so many pounds a week, my mother possesses a small annuity ... in short, Miss Summerson, I adore you!"
The 2005 series:
- The Running Gag of Mr. Smallweed wanting to be "shaken up".
- Mr. Smallweed coming to Sergeant George's and threatening to have George evicted. George simply picks up a pistol, and Smallweed leaves in a hurry. Becomes a bit of a "Funny Aneurysm" Moment after Tulkinghorn's murder; Smallweed uses this incident to accuse George of being the murderer.
- After Tulkinghorn's murder, Mr. Smallweed comes to see him, not realising he's dead, and meets Inspector Bucket. Then he sees the corpse.
Smallweed: Oh lord. Oh my eye. He don't look well.Smallweed: I know who done this. [...] What's [framing George] worth?Bucket: Three years hard labour for withholding evidence, my friend.
- Shortly after this, Bucket has a policeman come and take Smallweed away.
Smallweed: Oh my bones and sockets! Have a care, you brimstone black people, or I'll have the law on you!Bucket: ...We are the law, Mr. Smallweed.
- After Esther refuses Mr. Guppy's second proposal, Mrs. Guppy throws a fit and yells at Esther and Mr. Jarndyce to Get Out. Mr. Jarndyce points out that it's hardly reasonable for her to order them out of their own rooms.