Funny: A Clockwork Orange
Despite its dark nature, the film version of A Clockwork Orange has some scenes that are actually pretty funny:
- The fight scene involving the Cat Lady and Alex. And this earlier exchange:
Alex: Well, to be perfectly honest, madam, I'm taking part in an international students' contest to see who can get the most points for selling magazines.
- Mr. Deltoid drinking out of a glass of water containing a pair of dentures.
- A doctor and a nurse making out behind some hospital curtains rush out half dressed when they realize Alex has regained consciousness.
- Alex's responses to the picture slides in his recovery:
- "My mind is a blank! Er... and I'll smash your face... for you, yarblockos!"
- "Cabbages! Knickers! It's not got a - a beak!"
- "No time for the old in and out, love. I've just come to read the meter!"
- "Eggiwegs. I would like to smash 'em. And pick em all up and throw- *hits himself* OW! Fucking hell."
- The fast-forwarded threesome scene, set to a frantic synth rendition of the William Tell Overture.
- While Pete, Georgie and Dim are waiting for Alex to come out of his apartment, Dim is sitting in a broken baby carriage, pretending to drive a car.
- "ARE YOU NOW, OR HAVE EVER BEEN, A HOMOSEXUAL?"
- Pretty much all of the guard's dialogue and actions
- Alex imagining himself taking part in the violent acts in the bible (and later the orgies).
- After all the crime, depravity, psychological torture, and disturbing examinations of dystopia, what does Kubrick choose to play over the film's end credits? "I'm siiiiingin' in the rain... Just siiiiiingin' in the rain..."
- Apparently, Kubrick wasn't happy enough with turning a breezy song like "Singing in the rain" into an hymn for depravity, he had to further the joke by not paying Gene Kelly for it. Kelly was pissed and even cut McDowell dead at a party once because of it. When McDowell found out the reason decades later, he roared with laughter.
- (While being interviewed by the journalist) Alex: "...It always feels like something terrible is about to happen to me" <head falls into plate of pasta with a loud splat>
- Alex popping open his mouth to be fed towards the end.
- When Mr. Alexander was trying to get Alex to drink his wine.