Fridge: The Belgariad
- This Troper loved the Belgariad, but the whole Wizards Live Longer thing never made any sense- then I read the page and another troper's explanation. "Magic" in that world is based directly on will, AND HUMANS HAVE WILL TO LIVE- a basic instinct that nobody has to think about.
- Which also ties in well in the prequels, with the deaths of Belsambar and Belmakor. The suicidal tendencies brought on by Belsambar's brutal killing of his own kinsmen and Belmakor's realization of Zedar's betrayal sapped them of that will to live and drove them to intentionally break the one law of magic. On themselves.
- After a while, you suddenly realize that the Planet of Hats arrangements serve a vital purpose — most of the characters who are walking stereotypes of their cultures need to be those stereotypes to fulfill their roles in the prophecy, for either side. Mimbrates aren't heavily into armored knights just because they think jousting is awesome — they were deliberately kept in that state for thousands of years just so Mandorallen would come out the other end. The same is true of Algarian horsemanship, Drasnian guile, Cherek barbarism, Asturian archery, Ulgo religiosity and so on.
- Sorcerers are implied to subconsciously choose their appearance, which is why Belgarath looks like a wise old man, and Polgara an attractive young woman. So what does that say about Ctuchik, who looks like the very archetype of the Evil Sorcerer? Likely that he's fully aware of how evil he is, and either doesn't care, or is proud of it.
- You know how Merel goes from being stuck in a loveless marriage with a husband who thinks he is entitled to sex regardless of her feelings, to being happily married to her rapist as soon as their son is born? Consider that if Torak had won Polgara would have been brainwashed into loving him, although she believes that there would always be a part of her that knows what happened and would be screaming in horror for the rest of her life. Now consider that the Purpose of the Universe outright tells Garion that the reason all his friends find themselves married with Babies Ever After is because it took steps to arrange that as a reward for their service. Exactly what steps did it take on Berek's behalf?