Fridge: Earth's Children
- Jondalar is so well-endowed that other women of his tribe can't handle his full length without pain. Enter Ayla, who can. This seems like a match made in heaven until you realize that the only reason she can accommodate him is because she was repeatedly raped by Broud since the age of about ten.
- Take that one step further: the only other person who could ever accommodate him without complaint was Zolena/Zelandoni. If the reason Ayla could accommodate him was because of the sexual trauma Broud put her through, what in the name of the Mother happened to Zolena?
- Clan women are raised to simply drop whatever they are doing, go down on all fours and present if a man makes a signal that he's got a stiffy and he wants to take care of it with her. This is the norm for any female once she's begun menstruating, regardless of age or experience. At one point in Clan of the Cave Bear, Auel even says that men of the Clan "beguiled by a young coquette" will relieve their arousals with a girl who hasn't yet reached puberty. Ignoring the fact that the lifespan of Clan people means that the ages at which different stages of development are reached are drastically lower than the ages at which we reach the same stages today, that still begs a few questions that almost qualify as Nightmare Fuel:
- Did Clan women live in some kind of perpetually-lubricated state, where their bodies were naturally ready for intercourse at all times? Does the higher threshold that Clan people seem to have for pain mean that being penetrated without any foreplay is the equivalent of a slip-and-fall for Clan women: uncomfortable, leaving you a little achy, but otherwise you just pick up, dust off and go back to your day? Or are the women just psychologically conditioned to ignore being repeatedly raped until their bodies no longer respond to the painful stimuli?
- Clan children see adults engaging in intercourse, and girls see women occasionally do things that seem to invite the men of the camp to use them for relief. Clan children also imitate adult behaviors, including a mock-version of intercourse involving boys that can't get arousals bumping against girls who haven't reached menarche yet. So are the "young coquettes" really "beguiling" the adult men into sex before they've had a period? Or are they innocently imitating the older women with the sometimes result of getting more than they bargained for with a side order of "she wanted it; I could tell from how she was acting"?