In 2005, when Fun Publications took over the official Transformers
convention and fanclub, they put most of their "Transformers" fiction under the Transformers Timelines
Storywise, the Timelines
storylines are separate from each other, although the events of different stories do
influence each other (sometimes across different continuities
). Also, the stories are not even all in the same medium
. Instead, the storylines are all told via serial installments spanning multiple mediums—mainly Comic Books
and Web Original short prose stories
—which are available for members at the official fan club website
There's also the official fan club magazine
. The magazine issues contain a main serial comic and minicomics which aren't
part of the Timelines
brand. Despite that, the stories within the magazine are interrelated with the Timelines
stories. Events within a Timelines
story would influence or lead to a story in the magazine, and vice versa. Thus, this page is for tropes regarding both Timelines
and the fan club magazine. (Confused yet?)
Fun Publications Transformers fiction involves these continuities/universes that originated in previous fiction:
Continuities/universes original to the fanclub have also been introduced:
Tropes across continuities
- Alternate Continuity: A lot of them, as shown above.
- Alternate Universe
- The Multiverse: Might not contain as many universes as the quote on top of the page suggests. Unicron has been stated to have been destroyed at least 20% of it.
- Apocalypse How: Class X-2. The Unicron Singularity threatened to destroy the Unicron Trilogy Universe and possibly the entire Transformers multiverse. According to the TransTechs, destruction of universes happen a lot. The Challenge of the GoBots universe (seriously) apparently is also under this threat.
- Arm Cannon: Landquake has one on each arm. Classicsverse Megatron has a large one. Megatron of Shattered Glass carries around a tank on his arm.
- Authority Equals Ass Kicking: Shattered Glass Optimus Prime and TransTech Megatron.
- Badass Crew: The Elite Guard, which shows up in Shattered Glass and Wings Of Honor, albeit in two very different forms.
- Beard of Evil: There's Unicron and Shattered Glass Rodimus and Alpha Trion. Also Wings of Honor Scourge.
- Big Bad: Different stories and continuities have different ones. Some are from earlier series, including Unicron, Beast Wars Megatron, and even Deathsaurus. There's also Shattered Glass Optimus Prime.
- Combining Mecha: Skyfall, Landquake, Breakaway, Topspin, and Heatwave although they originally were one being.
- Crapsack World: The Beast Wars: Uprising universe kinda freaking sucks. The Autobots and Decepticons are still at war, but most of them are too decrepit to fight, and made the Maximals and Predacons to fight in their place. By the time we first see this universe, Silverbolt and Rhinox are already K.I.A. and Optimus Primal was murdered by Blackarachnia and Nightscream.
- Guardian of the Multiverse: Vector Prime
- I Am Who?: From the comic of the fan club magazine: Skyfall, Landquake, Breakaway, Topspin, and Heatwave turn out to be parts of Nexus Prime, one of the Thirteen Original Transformers. This was actually revealed before Topspin and Heatwave were introduced.
- Intercontinuity Crossover: Quite a lot. As of 2010, every subseries of the fanclub magazine has done this in some form:
- Kent Brockman News: The Show Within a Show minicomic "Around Cybertron", which involves the exploits of the journalists in a news program that so far spans three different universes.
- MacGuffin: The Dark Heart of Sandokan in a Unicron Trilogy story, Sari's key in "Bee in the City".
- Merchandise-Driven: Quite a bit of the fiction either was produced to promote, or sprang from said promotions for, the annual toysets made for BotCon.
- Prequel/Sequel: A lot of the Timelines fiction consists of either stand-alone stories intended to either predate or continue existing continuities, or entire new continuities that use existing continuities as branching-off points.
- Promoted Fanboy: Many of the regular writers and artists were promoted from the fandom.
- Time Abyss: Some of the more ancient Transformers.
- Transforming Mecha