Franchise / Code Geass
A multimedia franchise spawned from the 2006 Code Geass
anime series. Created by Sunrise
, the story is set in an Alternate History
where Britain had a Henry IX instead of James I
, kept America, but lost the British Isles to Napoleon Bonaparte
. They fled to the American colonies and founded the Holy Britannian Empire, which expands to control over a third of the world, particularly after they invent Humongous Mecha
. Oh, and there are the titular psychic powers involved. The main story focuses on Lelouch vi Britannia, an exiled prince of the empire who becomes the leader of a formidable rebel army fighting against the empire - and his own father, the emperor.
Along with several canon spinoffs, Code Geass
has produced an incredible amount of All There in the Manual
content, which includes audio dramas, Picture Dramas
and DVD-exclusive short stories that help flesh out the show's universe or expand on its characters. It has also garnered five Alternate Continuity
manga and multiple games to date.
Works in this franchise:
Main Canonical Works:
- Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion & Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 — (2006-2008) The original anime, and the sequel spanning 25 episodes each.
- In addition to the main series, there are also three compilation films that both condense and retell the story as well as add new scenes that act as canonical updates: Awakening Path, Rebellion Path and Imperial Path.
- Code Geass: Lelouch of the Resurrection — (TBA) A continuation of the original anime, announced on November 27, 2016.
- Code Geass: Akito the Exiled — (2012-2016) A sidestory OVA written and directed by Kazuki Akane. It takes place between the first and second seasons, focusing on a group of Japanese pilots in the army of the Europia (this world's third great power, unified by Napoleon).
- Code Geass Renya Of The Dark — (2011-2013), a prequel manga with a script by Goro Taniguchi and art by Tomomasa Takuma. It follows the story of the eponymous Renya, who encounters C.C. and a man bearing an incredible resemblance to Lelouch in Edo-period (or at least its equivalent) Japan.
- Code Geass: Oz the Reflection —- (2012-2015), a Spin-Off manga that takes place between the first and second seasons. Written by Shigeru Morita, it tells the story from the viewpoints of two different protagonists, Orpheus Zevon and his sister Oldrin Zevon.
- Code Geass: Lost Colors — Spin off Visual Novel with the main character called Rai who has lost his memories and has ended up at Ashford Academy. Now Rai must decide how he goes about regaining his memories.
- Code Geass: Maelstrom of Libra — A mobile game starring a young girl named Leila who escapes from a research facility in the desert.