Five seconds later, you'll see why Jane is officially an example of the Ms. Fanservice
trope for this movie.
is a 1982 Teen Sex Comedy
starring Scott Baio as Barney Springboro, a science nerd who gains telekinetic powers, which are known about only to his best friend Peyton (Willie Aames) and class president Bernadette (Felice Schachter). Over the course of the film, he uses these powers to win baseball games, control roulette wheels, and make women's clothes fly off, particular those of senior class beauty queen Jane Mitchell (Heather Thomas). Several elements of the plot borrow heavily from the 1976 film adaptation of Carrie
, with some additional spoofing of The Exorcist
and Star Trek: The Original Series
The film had a somewhat Troubled Production
. Following the box office success of Porky's
, parts of Zapped!
were refilmed to make the movie Hotter and Sexier
, to increase the amount of nudity, and to intentionally earn an R-rating. Also, Heather Thomas had serious reservations about filming her nude scenes. In post-production, the filmmakers used a body double for Thomas's topless scene at the prom, and pasted her head onto a topless body double in a photograph in the movie. These changes prompted Thomas to file a complaint with the Screen Actors Guild.
The movie was universally panned upon release and has a 0% Fresh Rating on the movie website RottenTomatoes.com
. However, the film developed somewhat of a cult following, due in no small part to the large amounts of Fanservice
it provides, and did well enough in video rentals and cable TV showings for a direct-to-video sequel, Zapped Again!
, to be released in 1990.
Not to be confused with the 2014 Disney Channel Original Movie Zapped
This film includes examples of:
- Adorkable: Bernadette.
- All Men Are Perverts: Many scenes have Barney using his powers to undress women, and Peyton enjoys taking racy pictures of women, particularly when they're not expecting it.
- Alpha Bitch: Jane.
- Artistic License - Chemistry: The chemical which explodes and gives Barney his powers seems to be a combination of plant fertilizer, cannabis extract, whiskey, and beer.
- Cool Old Guy: Baseball coach Dexter Jones, played by Scatman Crothers.
- Dream Sequence: Coach Jones has a wild one—bike riding with Albert Einstein while the coach's wife chases them on a chariot and shoots salamis at them from a bazooka—after Barney and Bernadette put the marijuana in the incinerator.
- Falling in Love Montage: Barney and Bernadette, to David Pomeranz's "Got to Believe in Magic"
- Fanservice: Tons of it.
- Fanservice Extra: The two girls in the convertible who get their tops zapped off. Also, loads and loads of them at the prom when the telekinetic windstorm makes everyone's clothes fly off.
- Going Commando: Some of the Fanservice Extras at the prom stripping scene, presumably to help give the film its intended R-rating.
- Hot Wind: Jane, as Barney fantasizes about her in Ms. Burnhart's class.
- Innocent Innuendo: Coach Jones hears this while Barney and Bernadette are stuffing marijuana into the incinerator.
- Jerk Jock: Greg Bradford.
- Marilyn Maneuver: One of the Fanservice Extras at the prom tries this, only to have her dress get blown completely off her body.
- Mooning: Two guys from a rival school do this to Barney after their baseball team loses. They end up regretting it, as do the two Fanservice Extras in the car with them.
- Ms. Fanservice: Jane
- Naked Freak-Out: Jane, after Barney pulls her entire prom dress off. Also, a number of Fanservice Extras at the prom.
- Naughty Under the Table: Mr. Coolidge and Ms. Burnhart, first at the restaurant and later at the prom.
- The Nudifier: Barney's powers when used to undress women.
- Panty Shot: Plenty of them in the prom stripping scene. Also, an In-Universe example when Peyton sneaks up behind Jane and snaps a picture of her panties while she bends over in her cheerleader uniform.
- Put Me In, Coach!: Barney plays on the school baseball team but hasn't been picked to play until the end of a game, when he uses his powers to cheat.
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: Strictly speaking, any girl that finds herself suddenly stripped by Barney's powers; it's not like they're actually volunteering to end up topless in front of the entire senior class. More specifically Jane, not only when Barney strips her on more than one occasion, but also when Peyton takes a topless photo of her without her consent and is prepared to distribute 500 copies of it.
- Sexy Secretary: Miss Updike, who goes so far as to do a cheesecake photo shoot and to make out with Peyton.
- Tan Lines: On a number of Fanservice Extras in the prom stripping scene.
- Verbed Title
- Wardrobe Malfunction: The effect of Barney using his powers on women frequently looks like this trope, what with skirts flying up and blouses popping open inexplicably.
- Where No Parody Has Gone Before: A short Star Trek: The Original Series parody while Barney uses his powers to make his model spaceship fly around his bedroom. Ironically, the saucer section of the model ship looks a lot like a backwards Millenium Falcon.