Film: Wrong Turn
aka: Wrong Turn 2 Dead End
"It's the last one you'll ever take."
The Wrong Turn
franchise is a series of horror films from mid 2000's.
The first three films center around a similar premise: A bunch of city people wander into backwoods of West Virginia and encounter inbred cannibal hillbillies.
The first film was released in 2003, which was followed by two Direct-to-DVD
sequels: Wrong Turn 2: Dead End
in 2007 and Wrong Turn 3: Left for Dead
in 2009. A winter-set fourth film, subtitled Bloody Beginnings
, had been released in October 2011. It explores the origins of the hillbillies and is set primarily in an Abandoned Hospital
(so expect Medical Horror
). A fifth and sixth were also released.
The first film was produced by Stan Winston
and the hillbilly makeup were provided by his team.
These movies contain examples of:
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Three Finger's knife in Left for Dead (Not that one), which can easily cut through bone.
- After the End: The reality television show which is being shot in Dead End is based on this setting.
- Annoying Arrows: After getting shot by two arrows in Dead End, Dale just asks: "Is that all you got, bitch?"
- Anti-Villain: Brandon in Left for Dead is Type I. He constantly avoids doing anything unpleasant to the protagonists unlike other prisoners and even helps them in the end to get away. Subverted towards the very end though where he kills The Hero to steal the money and swiftly meets his Karmic Death.
- Anything That Moves: Jonesy in Dead End is horny bastard.
- Artistic License – Biology: Inbreed long enough and your family will have super powers.
- Attention Whore: Elena is willing to do anything for fame in Dead End, even blowing the director.
- Autocannibalism: The fourth movie reveals that One Eye and Three Finger acquired their trademark deformities this way.
- Death by Sex: Francine and Evan in 1. M and Elena in 2. Sophie and Brent in 3. Jenna, Vincent, Bridget, and Sara in 4. Cruz, Gus, and Billy in 5
- Averted and subverted as well in 5. Averted by the cop and random girl, who have sex in a car but survive. Subverted with Lita, who has a pulse when the movie ends... but probably won't live much loner.
- Played straight and averted in Last Resort. Played straight with Toni and Jillian, both of whom have sex. Also literally played straight with Brian, who's suffocated by Sally with her vagina mid-sex. However, Nymphomaniac Sally and Danny survive the film, though they are villains.
- Decoy Protagonist: Mara in Dead End and, briefly, Kimberly Caldwell in the same film.
- Final Girl Alex of Left For Death. Yes she are Final Girl of the movie, but after she become The Load she become more Decoy.
- Daniel in Part 4 and Cruz in Part 5
- Dull Surprise: Chris' default face in the first film.
- Downer Ending: Just about every film ends like this.
- Eat That: In Dead End, Jonesy ate feces on a former reality TV show in which he was competing and almost choked.
- Epic Flail: Ma's weapon of choice in Dead End.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: In the third movie, Three Fingers' reaction to finding Three Toes' body is heartbreaking.
- There's also the family in the second movie (best shown with Ma and Pa's reaction to their children's deaths).
- The Everyman: Alex from Part 3. The trees have more personality than this girl
- Evil Laugh: Three Finger's distinctive cackle.
- Eye Scream: All three movies have people's eyes impaled by arrows.
- Fan Disservice: Sophie's nudity in Left for Dead.
- Fanservice: Dead End has Elena undressing for a staged sex scene between her and Jake. Jake isn't really keen on this, however.
- Bloody Beginnings introduces it's cast by having straight & lesbian sex scenes at the same time.
- Bloodlines features 3 sex scenes, one of which involves two random characters we never see again.
- Final Girl: Jessie in the first film, Nina in the second, and Alex in the third.
- Nina from 2 might be pushing it. She does save Jake at the end and technically kills the villains but most of the actual heavy lifting by the good guys is done by Dale who had performed a Heroic Sacrifice a few minutes earlier that saved their lives.
- That hardly makes her less of a final girl; she was the last female character standing. That's what a final girl is. Alex from 3 did absolutely nothing and she still counts.
- In Part 4, this is averted. Kenia and Sara last to the end, but are killed.
- Lita from Part 5. She had a pulse when the movie ended at least...
- Five-Bad Band: The cannibal family in Dead End, with the gas station owner from the first film as the Sixth Ranger.
- Gender-Blender Name: Jessie in the first film and Alex in Left for Dead.
- Genre Blindness: Whenever someone makes a reference to Deliverance, that character gets only confused stares.
- Genre Throwback: To 1980s horror films.
- Giggling Villain: Three Finger in the first film, and the female twin in Dead End.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: In Dead End, Jonesy is thrilled when he finds out that Amber is a lesbian.
- Vincent from Bloody Beginning has no problem with watching Sara and Bridget have sex
- Glasgow Grin: In the first film, Francine meets her end when one of the murderous, cannibalistic hillbillies sneaks up behind her and uses barbed wire to tear her mouth open. We later get several prolonged views of her mutilated face when the hillbillies bring her corpse back to their cabin.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Left for Dead has Carlo and Three Finger beating the shit out of each other for several minutes.
- I Ate WHAT?: Jonesy and Amber steal some of the hillbillies meat in Dead End and after eating it finds out that it's human meat.
- Lovable Jock: Jake from Dead End and Gus from Bloodlines.
- Made of Iron: The hillbillies. And how.
- Weakly justified in Bloody Beginnings, where it's stated they have a disorder that makes them Feel No Pain.
- Meaningful Echo: "So sue me" in Dead End.
- Negative Continuity: Most of the sequels pretty much ignore everything established in the previous movies, most notably in regards to how the antagonists came to be or Three Fingers' multiple deaths.
- Never Bring a Knife to a Gun Fight: Inverted in the fifth movie. Despite having guns, the heroes become constant victims to the ones with the knives.
- Nightmare Dreams: In the first film: While hiding from the hillbillies, Jessie has a brief nightmare where she and Chris are found by them.
- No Name Given: The gas station owner, who is simply titled "Old Man" in the first two films. Also the cannibal family in Dead End who are only known as Pa, Ma, Brother and Sister.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: In Bloody Beginnings, it's mentioned that the sanatorium staff, because they had nothing else to go by, named the hillbillies the Hillikers.
- Outside Ride: Chris hitches a ride under one of the cars stolen by the hillbillies in the first film.
- Retirony: In Left for Dead, Nate is about to retire from prison guarding when he is sent to one last prisoner transfer.
- Semper Fi: Dale and Amber in Dead End, who have worked in Marine Corps.
- Sequel Escalation: The sequels have more gore and nudity in them than the original film.
- Those Wacky Nazis: Skinhead Floyd in Left for Dead.
- Title Drop: In Bloodlines. One of the girls asks an officer for help, saying she made a wrong turn.