Earth is the hunting ground. Man is the endangered species.Without Warning
(also known as The Warning
, Alien Warning
and It Came Without Warning
) is a horror film from 1980, starring Jack Palance and Martin Landau.
A group of youths have the misfortune of going camping on the prowling grounds of weird creatures that resemble hairy frisbees with teeth and tentacles, which are thrown around
by a hunter
from outer space.
Not to be confused with the 1994 apocalyptic faux newscast
TV movie of the same title.
This film has the examples of:
- Bathroom Stall Graffiti: A graffiti in men's lavatory at the gas station that reads "No chance, no help, no escape" caughts Sandy's attention, and she asks Sarge who runs into her there about its meaning. He later repeats the phrase to himself as he gets more unhinged.
- Body Snatcher: Sarge becomes convinced that Greg and Sandy are aliens in disguise, and questions them at gunpoint about the upcoming Alien Invasion that he believes is about to happen. Greg plays along with it to get a chance to escape.
- Cassandra Truth: Sarge knows about the things that are killing people, but people ignore him and think that it is just a paranoid delusion of his.
- Chair Reveal: Sandy walks up to a spinning chair that Greg is sitting on, turns it and finds out that one of the creatures has latched itself on his face.
- Creepy Gas Station Attendant: The gas station owner Joe is a weird old man who loves hunting animals and tries to warn the kids about the disappearances (which he attributes to hunting accidents) around the lake they are headed.
- Dangerous Windows: While Sandy hides from The Alien in a shed, it tries to grab her through one of building's windows.
- Infant Immortality: The scouts whose leader is killed by the creatures get away with just a fright when their owner appear before them.
- Peekaboo Corpse: Greg and Sandy find the corpses of creatures' victims strung up to a wall when they go check the Water Department shack in the middle of nowhere.
- Plunger Detonator: Joe rigs an explosive trap inside the shack that The Alien uses to store its game, which ends on a plunger detonator. For dramatic purposes, it fails on the first push because the wirings were off.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Sarge, who starts to develop a crazy militaristic streak as the action intensifies.