Without A Paddle
is a 2004 comedy starring Seth Green
, Matthew Lillard
and Dax Shepard
. Tom (Shepard), Jerry (Lillard), and Dan (Green) reminisce about their childhood dreams when their best friend passes away. While looking through their old tree house, they remember their obsession with D.B. Cooper's treasure. When they find a recent map that their friend left for them, they decide to honor his memory and go on the search for the treasure that they planned as children. Along the way, they encounter a pair of trigger-happy pot farmers, two lovely tree-dwelling hippies, and much more.
A straight-to-DVD sequel was released in 2009.
Provides Examples Of:
- The Ace:
- Billy was one before he died, if the things his friends said are anything to go by.
- "Billy's dead and he still has a better chance of getting laid than I do."
- Awesome but Impractical: Lampshaded. The cleaver one of the pot farmers favours is "scary but ultimately ineffective."
- Bears Are Bad News: The Mama Bear that pursues them.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: The pot farmers and the sheriff.
- Butt Monkey: Dan.
- The Brutes: The pot farmers.
- Caught in the Rain: The three main (male) characters are stranded in the rain in just their underwear and have to huddle together for warmth. They do, but only after agreeing that they never speak of the incident again.
- Chekhov's Gun: Dan's cell phone and its Indiana Jones ringtone.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Del Knox is a literal example.
- Deadpan Snarker: The Native American canoe guy. Jerry and Dan also count.
- Dirty Cop: The sheriff, who is secretly working with Elwood and Dennis.
- Dope Slap: Dennis punches Elwood when he won't stop singing.
- Double Entendre:
"You were a boyscout, right?"
"No, but I ate a brownie once."
- Fanservice: The hippie girls, until we see their extremely hairy legs.
- Though they do rather inexplicably have shaved armpits.
- Gender-Blender Name: Tom is pleasantly surprised to find out that the girl he's bedding's lover "Tony" is a beautiful woman. He invites her to join them, and gets beat up by the jealous woman instead.
- Granola Girl: Flower and Butterfly.
- Handy Feet: Flower uses her "monkey feet" to answer the radio with the guys. She teaches Dan to do so as well by the end of the film.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The pot farmers and the sheriff are knocked unconscious when Jerry uses one of their grenades to cause a tree to fall on them during an attempted Heroic Sacrifice.
- Horrible Camping Trip
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Randy from My Name Is Earl plays a pot farmer, for one.
- Ironic Echo: Dennis and Elwood sing one of "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" when they find the boys.
- Lock and Load Montage
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Tom.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Flower for Dan.
Dan: Thank you, crazy hairy girl of my dreams.
- Mama Bear: A literal one, who displays maternal instincts towards Dan.
- Misunderstood Loner with a Heart of Gold: Del Knox, who was also D.B. Cooper's partner.
- Naked People Are Funny: The boys travel in their underwear after they leave their clothes behind in the tree.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: The names of the landmarks.
Dan: What's with all the satanic names? Isn't there a Fluffy Bunny Ridge?
- Nobody Poops: Inverted when the hippie girls throw bags of their own feces at the pot farmers in order to distract them while the guys make a getaway.
- Noodle Incident: Tom accidentally ran illegal immigrants across the border. In his defense, he thought that he just got really wasted and bought a bunch of sombreros, not realizing there were people under them.
- Oh, Crap: When Tom turns around and sees the bear.
- The Other Rainforest: The guys head into the wilderness of the Northwest.
- Playing Against Type: This is one of the few times when Seth Green is not cast as an outgoing Loveable Rogue and instead is a paranoid and uptight Butt Monkey.
- Running Gag: Could you see their "downstairs?"
- Stoners Are Funny: When the boys are chased through a pot field, they accidentally set the weed on fire and get stoned off the smoke.
- Take Off Your Clothes: The hippie girls encourage the boys to strip off their soaking clothes. While Dan and Jerry are reluctant, Tom strips down to his underwear immediately and asks for some "tender loving care" from the girls.
- Tempting Fate:
Dan: Nothing could possibly get any worse!
(Crack of thunder and pouring rain)
Dan: I STAND CORRECTED!