In the movie Wedlock (which, confusingly enough, was once released as "Deadlock"), Frank Warren (played by Rutger Hauer) is a whiz with electronics. He teams up with his fiancee Noelle, something of a Manic Pixie Dream Girl, and a buddy of his, Sam, in order to rob a vault of jewels.Unfortunately, they get busted, and in the process of getting away from the cops, Frank ends up (rather involuntarily) taking the fall so Sam and Noelle can escape jail time. Frank goes to a new kind of prison: all prisoners wear special necklaces, keyed to explode if they ever get more than 100 yards from each other. Only, it so happens the system can be subverted. Enter an annoying fellow prisoner, Tracy Riggs, and a rather nasty badass prisoner, "Emerald", who effectively runs things.Hilarity ensues.
This film provides examples of:
- Explosive Leash: The titular "wedlock" (or "deadlock").
- Face-Heel Turn: Noelle, who is apparently ready to drop anyone the moment they become inconvenient.
- Heel-Face Turn: Tracy.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The warden gets blown up by the same explosive he used to keep the prisoners in jail. Keep in mind he was trying to play a Long Game by waiting Frank out until he confessed to where the jewels had been stashed, so Frank had a reason to set him up in this way.
- Karma Carom: In regard to the previous trope, Noelle gets blown up by the other "wedlock" explosive, as the warden's own system keys both explosives to go off if the sensor for one of them goes off.
- Prison Rape: The warden rather unsubtly reminds Frank of where he could have ended up.
- The Mole: Teal. Depending on how you look at it, maybe Tracy as well.
- Twenty Minutes into the Future: For all that the movie is set in some unspecified future time, the relatively low budget means that the movie unavoidably has quite the '80s feel to it.
- Wire Dilemma: Frank has to disarm his own necklace explosive with a hand mirror and talking his wedlock "partner", Tracy, through the disarming steps.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Sam gets this from Noelle.