aka: War Craft
An upcoming film based on the extremely successful Warcraft video game franchise by Blizzard Entertainment; more specifically, it is based on the first game in the series, Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. It is being produced by Legendary Pictures and Universal with Duncan Jones directing.Set primarily on the world of Azeroth the story will follow the events of the First War between humans and orcs as seen through the eyes of the great heroes of both the Alliance and the Horde.Currently set to be released on June 10th, 2016, the film features Ben Foster as Medivh, Travis Fimmel as Anduin Lothar, Toby Kebbell as Durotan, Dominic Cooper as King Llane Wrynn, Paula Patton as Garona Halforcen, Robert Kazinsky as Orgrim Doomhammer, Daniel Wu as Gul'dan, Clancy Brown as Blackhand the Destroyer, Ben Schnetzer as Khadgar, and Ruth Negga as Taria Wrynn, with Dennis Haysbert, Felicity Jones, Svetlana Khodchenkova, Burkely Duffield, and Hiroyuki Sanada in as-of-yet unspecified roles.Previews: Trailer Tease, Trailer 1.
- Adaptation Distillation: Chris Metzen has compared it to Marvel Comics' Ultimate brand.
- Adaptational Heroism: Unlike the first contact in Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, the movie version of Orcs lean towards less malign World of Warcraft and Warcraft 3 version.
- Ascended Extra: Durotan. While he is an important character it was established that he didn't play a major part in the First War. In the movie he will be a main character on the side of the Orcs.
- Canon Foreigner: Taria Wrynn, Queen of Stormwind, was created to give the movie another important female character.
- Cool Sword: The Dragon Sword which is used by the Alliance.
- Drop the Hammer: The legendary Doomhammer, used by orc champions for generations.
- During the War: The story is set during the First War between Orcs and Humans
- Fantasy Gun Control: Subverted, many trailers and previews do have instances of gunpowder weapons among the Alliance forces.
- First Contact: The main story is about the First Contact between the human and orc races and how it leads to war
- Foregone Conclusion: Anyone with even a basic knowledge of Warcraft lore will know who the major characters are, the main plot points, major twists, who survives, who wins and who loses.
- The Hero: Unlike most war stories, there is one for each side in the war. Lothar for the Humans and Durotan for the Orcs.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Lothar, Knight-Champion of Stormwind.
- Live-Action Adaptation: Still notably more stylized than your average fantasy epic. It's been compared to a Blizzard-made intro movies with live actors plugged in, rather than mostly realistic landscapes with CGI creatures.
- Some massive sets have also been involved, but they, too, are made to match the games' exaggerated architectural style rather than realistic castles and fortifications.
- Our Orcs Are Different: Given that Blizzard is well known for establishing this trope, it's safe to say that the orcs in this film will be more fleshed out than the ones depicted in The Lord of the Rings.
- Portal Door: How the orcs get to Azeroth in the first place
- Scenery Porn: Stormwind◊ looks gorgeous.