War (also called Rogue Assassin in Europe) is a 2007 movie starring Jason Statham and Jet Li. Originally titled Rogue, the name of the movie was changed to avoid conflict with another movie with the same name.
Tropes this movie follows:
- Alternative Foreign Theme Song: The Japanese version uses "Strong Style" by Kreva.
- Authority Equals Asskicking:
- Back Stab: Rogue/Lone shoots John in the back for killing his family, even though John stops the sniper from shooting his friend.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday:Shiro: I ordered many kills.Rogue/Lone: This one was different.
- The Chessmaster: Rogue ends up working for both sides in effort to bring both of them down.
- Downer Ending: It seems that John is dead.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Rogue seems reluctant to kill Li Chang's wife and daughter, despite previously killing Lone's family. However, it was revealed that Rogue is really Lone.
- Eyes Never Lie: John realizes that Rogue is Lone by looking into his eyes at the end of the film, recognizing his partner's eyes.
- Face Heel Double Turn: John turns out to be the one who sold Lone out, while "Rogue" turns out to be the real Lone alive and well having taken his identity and altered his face.
- Friendly Sniper: Goi
- He Who Fights Monsters: Rogue is a shining example.
- Hitman with a Heart: Rogue
- Idiot Ball: John was working for Shiro Yanagawa only to get to Rogue. However, his partner Tom Lone shoots him to save John. As payback for cheating him on his chance to finally capture Rogue, John gave Tom's address to Shiro. He thought they're just going to beat him up, but he didn't know they'd sent Rogue. However, after Rogue killed his family, Lone kills him, and was able to pass Rogue off as himself while Lone became Rogue.
- Kill and Replace: Officer Lone sets this in motion after he kills the real Rogue and takes his place.
- Let The Boss Win: All of Shiro's men fear the consequences that may follow should they actually score a hit on him in sparring. When he is momentarily distracted, one of them accidentally strikes him, and the minion fully expects the worst. Instead, Shiro seemingly subverts this by reassuring the terrified mook that it was Shiro's own fault for being distracted and congratulates him on the hit. Then he double subverts this by killing the poor guy anyway.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Of a sort. More like, "Luke I am your partner".
- Mob War
- My God, What Have I Done?: John realized his mistake of working with Shiro and causing the death of his partner.
- Ninja: Five are employed during the raid on Chang's mansion.
- Not Himself: Shiro ordered Rogue to kill Chang. But he seems to show reluctance when he's ordered to also kill Chang's wife and daughter. Shiro's daughter Kira points out Rogue that he never had problems killing women and children before. That's because he's not Rogue.
- The Nth Doctor: Rogue is infamous for wearing a mask and undergoing frequent plastic surgeries in order to alter his face.
- Redemption Equals Death: John has been continuously guilty after he sold out Lone and eventually takes a bullet to save Rogue/Lone's life, but is killed by him immediately after.
- Sequel Hook
- That Man Is Dead: "Tom Lone is dead. My name is Rogue."
- You Killed My Father: "You killed my partner and his family."