"This is a wondrous day. Today, we make history."
2008 political action thriller. US President Ashton comes to Salamanca, Spain to give a speech at an anti-terrorist summit in a public plaza when he is suddenly shot. Just as he is pulled away, two bomb explosions go off, throwing more chaos to the mix. The plot advances then through the POVs of different characters, literally rewinding back to before the incident to show the next one's. In the process a number of twists happen, revealing that there is more going on behind than what seems to be at first.
Notable for its All-Star Cast
This film provides examples of:
- Acrofatic: Becomes almost ridiculous when you realize that chubby Forest Whitaker has to have run faster than men way more in shape than him and even cars at maximum speed to succeed in saving the little girl at the end.
- Adult Fear: Little Anna has her mother and Withaker's character almost die of fear.
- Almost Dead Guy: After his car crashed, Kent lives just long enough to give a Final Speech to Barnes about his motives.
- Anyone Can Die: Numerous civilians and eventually all terrorists are biting the dust.
- Bilingual Bonus: One angry driver screams "THE HELL ARE YOU DOING YOU MORON?!" at Enrique in a hilarious Castilian accent.
- Big Heroic Run: Enrique, Barnes, Howard.
- Bittersweet Ending: The president is safe, the girl is safe, but there's a high death toll due to the bombing and assassination. Also Javier's brother doesn't make it.
- Black Dude Dies First: Zoe Saldana's character is killed already in the first segment. Also, the two Spanish cops are the only POV characters that are killed.
- Body Double: A major plot twist, since the "President" who gets shot is really the body double, and some maneuvering has to be done at the end when the real president is rescued, and it helps that he was actually injured and can pass of the public shooting as being something he survived.
- Bodyguard Betrayal: Kent is revealed to be a Double Agent.
- California Doubling: Set in Salamanca, Spain. Filmed in Mexico.
- Car Chase: The climax of the movie.
- The Chessmaster: Suarez is always one step ahead.
- Cross-Cultural Kerfluffle: A minor one, but the Spanish and Europeans in general aren't generally so prone to flag-waving as Americans, let alone when the event is a speech by the US president (?).
- Dark Action Girl: Verónica
- Diving Save: Forest Whitaker's character saving stunned Anna from the onsliding ambulance.
- Dramatic Gun Cock: Javier on Enrique at the movie's climax.
- Femme Fatale: Seductress Veronica exploiting Enrique's feelings.
- Flashed Badge Hijack: Except there is no badge, because Barnes is not in the USA (which only makes the whole thing, ahem, illegal).
- Gender-Blender Name: Sigourney Weaver's character is called Rex.
- Gambit Pileup
- I Have Your Brother: How the baddies got Javier to kidnap the president.
- Jigsaw Puzzle Plot
- The Masquerade: The Secret Service knows there is a threat, so they send a double of the president to the summit. When the double is shot down, they immediately think about ordering a retaliation strike against a terrorist camp, but stop when they realize that the US president has to order it and he can't because "he" has been shot down on live TV. At the end of the day, the whole terrorist plot and the kidnapping attempt on the real president is covered... somehow... as the work of "a lone gunman" who has been "arrested".
- Missing Mission Control: That's how the terrorists ensured the success of their operation.
- The Mole: One of the president's bodyguards is actually working (inexplicably) for the terrorists.
- The Mountains of Illinois: Only the air shots were filmed in the real Salamanca, which is located in a flat, dry plain. This causes continuity errors during the chase scene (filmed in Cuernavaca, Mexico) where heavily forested mountains can be seen behind the buildings. And that's ignoring the out of place palm trees and humid-soaked buildings.
- Our Presidents Are Different: President Target meets President Personable. Also manages to help in his own rescue.
- Plot Twist: Where to begin. The man shot wasn't the actual President but a stand-in. The terrorists know that and the shooting and bombings are just a distraction to capture the real one. The Secret Service weren't the ones that killed the cop, he was murdered by another local cop that was being blackmailed by the terrorists. Also, one of the Secret Service Agents is a traitor. And the little girl that Forest saves is the one that derails the terrorists plot, no kidding.
- Police Are Useless: The Spanish police and military seem to be not only completely oblivious to what is going on around them uring those twenty minutes, even (or especially) compared to the American Secret Service (case in point - USSS agents chase a terror suspect down the street on their own, shoot at said suspect, and yet there are dozens of oblivious Spanish cops and soldiers running past them into the other direction), but one of them is even seemingly involved with the terrorists as well.
- Post-9/11 Terrorism Movie
- "Rashomon"-Style: Abandoned in the third act of the movie.
- Red Shirt: The reporter early on.
- Taking the Bullet: Barnes backstory of how he saved the president's life.
- Television Geography: Those who have been to the real Salamanca will notice immediately that it wasn't shot there. Those who have not will suspect something given all the American-brand cars, Mexico City buses and green beetle taxis or the STOP sign near the end that reads "ALTO" (in Spain they read STOP, in English).
- Terrorist Without A Cause: So, what was their real plan?
- Unreliable Narrator: The POV segments sometimes show things that didn't really happen, but the POV character thought had happened.
- The War on Terror
- Trailers Always Spoil: The trailer spoils the president's Body Double twist.
- We All Live in America: It's set in Spain, yet the Secret Service are seen seizing cars from the locals, as well as chasing, arresting and shooting them, even cops. Plenty of wars have started over much less.
- Wouldn't Hurt a Child: The terrorist plot is derailed because the terrorist can't kill a little girl... after having planted two bombs which probably killed dozens.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Veronica offing the camera man in the ambulance.