Film: Vampires Suck
Some sagas just won't die.2010 film by Seltzer and Friedberg, and the first one to concentrate of parodying a single franchise, rather than the usual system of parodying a single genre or just parodying everything they could think of. As usual, the film is pretty trope-heavy, with most of them being lampshaded.The film is a parody of the Twilight saga, and was fairly successful at the box office, perhaps indicating that if there's one thing the public loves to mock more than Seltzer and Friedberg, it's Twilight. While most critics panned the film overall, many of them noted that Jenn Proske's dull-eyed Kristen Stewart impression almost saves it. In early 2011, the film also earned the distinct honor of competing with Twilight itself for four Golden Raspberry Awards, including Worst Picture.Not to be confused with Your Vampires Suck. Definitely not to be confused with the other Vampire parody, Suck: Vampires Rock.
— The tagline
This film contains examples of:
- Advertised Extra: Notice how "Lady Gaga" is on the cover of the movie itself (the page picture above). She (or rather an actress playing her) appears for a single throwaway joke that's actually in the trailer almost in its entirety.
- Artistic License – Biology: Becca can rip her father's (real biological) moustache off. It comes off in one piece, leaving behind a moustache-shaped injury
- Artistic License – Physics: Played for Laughs.
- Batter Up/Off with His Head!: Edward, to
- Beard of Sorrow
- Better Than a Bare Bulb: Pretty much every single trope to be played straight in the Twilight Saga is lampshaded in this.
- Black Comedy: Edward at one point is forced to juggle an apple, a bowling ball and a baby before he catches them in Becca's bag, with the baby landing in second place. Makes Just as Much Sense in Context, to be honest.
- Blatant Lies: The trailers actually went so far as to make up acclaiming reviews by "reviewers" with punny names such as "Oliver Klozeoff".
- Book Ends and/or Flashback: Like the Twilight films, the film starts with a scene from later on. Here, though, it's played for laughs.Becca's narration: Oh, wait, you've already seen this bit.
- There's a hard zoom on Becca's mouth at the beginning and end.
- Butt Monkey:
- Becca's father. The guy in a wheelchair can kick his ass.
- Becca herself. She gets violently picked on first day at school, gets bricks falling down on her when in her room and Jennifer throws a champange bottle in her face while screaming "bitch!"
- Camp Gay: The werewolves (except Jacob).
- Compressed Adaptation: covering Twilight and New Moon.
- Dominatrix: Becca dresses in this outfit at one point.
- Don't Explain the Joke: The Black Eyed Peas joke was Actually Pretty Funny until the James expy spelled it out and deconstructed it.
- Eating the Eye Candy: Jacob's first Shirtless Scene.
- Emo Teen: Lampshaded constantly.
- Fan DisserviceEdward: The only thing that doesn't stop aging is your ass. It gets pretty wrinkly down there...
Becca: Why'd you take your shirt off?
- Lampshaded by Jacob.
Jacob: It's in my contract [gives camera unimpressed look]
- Gangsta Style: "I'm a killer!"
- Gross-Up Close-Up:
- Hammer Space: Becca's backpack
- Hand or Object Underwear: The infamous sparkly vampires of Twilight are parodied by Edward having a disco ball covering his, um...
- How We Got Here: The opening.
- Karmic Death: At the end of the movie, a Jacob fangirl kills Edward, only to die by a vampirized-just-then Becca.
- Kryptonite-Proof Suit: SPF 500 sunscreen. It's the freakin' page picture.
- Next Sunday A.D.
- No Fourth Wall: See Fanservice above.
- Parody Names: Pretty much everyone.
- Product Placement: All over the place, though Bland-Name Product also comes up.
- Protagonist Centred Morality: Edward's "keep Bella safe at all costs" attitude in Twilight is parodied by giving him a tendency to actively put random people in harm's way every time Becca is threatened. Including Becca herself.
- Redundant Parody: The lampshade on Jacob's constant shirtlessness? The Twilight movies already did that, several times.
- Romantic Vampire Boy: As with everything else parodied an Played for Laughs
- Our Vampires Are Different: They obey multiple vampire 'rules', but only the ones that can be played for laughs at the time.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: Some of them are actually chihuahuas...
- Rule of Funny: The only reason why anything happens in this movie.
- In addition to the entire plot being based off of the Twilight Saga, there are also references to Alice in Wonderland, Jersey Shore, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Wizards of Waverly Place Lady Gaga, and the Black Eyed Peas.
- The Team Edward vs. Team Jacob fight is a Shout-Out to Twilight's infamous Fan Dumb.
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!: "Team Jacob, bitch!"
- Visual Pun: When the Chinese takeout guy is sacrificed so Edward can get Becca out of there.
- Warm Bloodbags Are Everywhere: Again, played for laughs.
- Your Vampires Suck: Obviously.