"Someone's taking all of these stories, and making them reality."Urban Legend
is a 1998 Slasher Movie
starring Jared Leto
, Alicia Witt
, Rebecca Gayheart, Joshua Jackson, Tara Reid, Michael Rosenbaum and Loretta Devine.
After the vitality boost given by the success of Scream (1996)
, slashers returned to mainstream media and followers were sure to follow
. Urban Legend
is one of those followers, along with I Know What You Did Last Summer
The movie and its sequels Urban Legends: Final Cut
and Urban Legends: Bloody Mary
all share a similar premise: someone is killing young adults, taking cues from well-known urban legends
These examples happened to someone who knows someone you know:
- Actor Allusion: When Damon (who is played by Joshua Jackson, who played Pacey in Dawson's Creek) starts his car, the radio is playing "I Don't Want To Wait". He is not amused.
- Brenda is played by former Noxzema spokeswoman Rebecca Gayheart. During the epilogue, a student tells a group of friends about the Pendleton murders and one of them incredulously remarks, "and Brenda is that girl in the Noxzema commercial".
- Adults Are Useless: And cops too.
- Alliterative Name: Brenda Bates. A possible reference to Norman Bates which fits perfectly.
- An Axe to Grind: The killer prefers an ax. And as it later turns out, she fits the other sense of the phrase as well.
- Ax-Crazy: The killer most definitely is.
- Bestiality Is Depraved:
(Reese tells him that Damon is missing)
Dean Adams: Missing? He's not missing! It's the weekend. He's most likely shacked up in some motel with a girl. Or a guy... farm animal... whatever! Weren't you ever eighteen?
Reese: Not that kind of eighteen.
- Book Ends: The film ends as it started after opening credits, with a group of people discussing urban legends.
- Cannot Spit It Out: In the film's opening, a gas station attendant tries to warn Michelle Mancini about the killer in her backseat but is unable to do this due to his stuttering.
- Car Cushion: Damon drops into one.
- Crusty Caretaker: Pendleton University's janitor.
- Cute and Psycho: Brenda
- Danger Takes a Backseat: The killer hides in the backseat of a car. Twice.
- Death by Mocking: Damon
- Death by Sex: Given the fact that she is the sluttiest girl of Pendleton University, it was inevitable for Tosh.
- Evil Gloating: The killer enjoys taunting Natalie after each killing and during The Reveal.
- Final Girl: Natalie
- Goth: Tosh
- In the Hood: Killer dresses in a hooded parka.
- Jump Scare: This film has plenty.
- Karma Houdini: Brenda. She's presumed dead after a climatic crash, but the final scene reveals she is very much alive and, due to her being presumed dead, seems to have gotten away with everything. It only stops from veering into The Bad Guy Wins territory because she failed to kill her final, main target.
- Kill 'em All: It's implied that Brenda succeeded in killing Natalie and Paul. Essentially confirmed in Final Cut, where Reese says eight college students died. It'd be 6 if Paul and Natalie lived.
- Make-Out Point: Damon tries to score with Natalie at one. Then the killer shows up and kills him.
- Menacing Stroll
- Microwave the Dog: The killer does this to Hootie the dog in order to draw one of the victims out to kill him.
- Mistaken for Murderer: In the opening scene, a woman mistakes a gas station attendant for this (or a rapist; it's not entirely clear) when he was really trying to warn her about the murderer hiding in the backseat of her car.
- My Car Hates Me: Damon's car pulls this when he is being attacked.
- Off with His Head!: Done, but not shown.
- Oh Crap: Natalie during the film's conclusion at Stanley Hall, upon realizing who Brenda really is.
- Peek-A-Boo Corpse: Natalie runs into a row of these.
- Really Gets Around: Tosh
- Red-Headed Heroine: Natalie
- Red Herring: The Stanley Hall massacre of 1973.
- Not to mention that two prominent horror film killers have roles.
- The Reveal: Natalie and Michelle (the girl who gets killed first in the film) had played a prank by blinking the headlights of their car to another unsuspecting driver, disorienting and accidentally killing him. Later, the driver turns out to be Brenda's beloved fiancÚ whose death had caused her to snap.
- Sassy Black Woman: Reese
- School Newspaper News Hound: Paul