Universal Soldier: The Return has Deveraux working to create a newer, more advanced group of UniSols, all connected to an Artifical Intelligence dubbed "SETH". When the program is threatened with budget cuts, SETH attacks those it deems a threat to it and the program, forcing Deveraux to fight and shut it down.
This film provides examples of:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: S.E.T.H., the controlling A.I. for the "Unisol" program (dead soldiers being restored and used as super soldiers). S.E.T.H. is initially shown to be benign (playing with the protagonist's daughter), but the moment it overhears a visiting officer say that the project will be canceled, it goes into "kill all humans" mode.
- Bloodless Carnage: The only characters who bleed were Romeo and a generic UniSol.
- Cybernetics Eat Your Soul: The newer model of Unisols, were completely controlled by SETH, via cranial CPU. With the exception of Romeo, none of the other newer model Unisols were capable of independent thought and action. Everything they did, was on behalf of SETH, unless they went haywire and started wrecking shit.
- Dueling-Stars Movie: It featured Van Damme vs. Bill Goldberg at the height of WCW's popularity.
- Excuse Plot: The plot was so paper-thin that one could assume it's simply there to show off action and fight scenes.
- Fun with Acronyms: SETH stands for "Self-Evolving Thought Helix".
- Hollywood Cyborg: The newer model Unisols were supposedly augmented by nanotechnology, and much more stronger, faster and tougher than the original Unisols. They were all controlled by implanted cranial CP Us, which made them part of a hive-mind of sorts with SETH, the AI controlling them. SETH himself displayed more evident improvements over the originals with his nanotech-souped up Unisol host body.
- Kill It with Ice: Van Damme freezes the Big Bad with liquid nitrogen, then shatters his body with one kick.
- Nanotechnology: How the Unisols were made stronger, faster and more efficient than their Canonical counterpart. This is debatable, since the only one who seemed to actually benefit and actually show that they were stronger, faster, tougher and more efficient than their Canon counterpart, was SETH, considering that the body was augmented to an extreme level with nanotechnology.
- Rouge Angles of Satin: A computer screen says "LIKELY EXEGESIS SKIN TEMPERATURE ANOMALIE"