Twins is a 1988 comedy starring Danny De Vito
and Arnold Schwarzenegger
Yes, that Danny DeVito
and Arnold Schwarzenegger
Julius and Vincent Benedict are fraternal twins; the results of a secret experiment carried out at a genetics laboratory to produce the perfect child, using sperm donated by six different fathers. The mother was told that the children died at birth, while the children were informed once old enough that their mother died in childbirth. The program was a success but was shut down, due to one twin inheriting the "desirable traits", and the other being the "genetic trash"
: Julius is strong, handsome, kind and intelligent, while Vincent is, well, Danny DeVito
The two meet when they're both 35 and Julius bails Vincent out of jail. Vincent doesn't warm up to Julius right away, but he soon does.
Vincent steals a car that happens to have a secret prototype fuel injector worth five million dollars in the trunk. He is going to drive to Houston to sell it for money he owes to loan sharks, but Julius finds out that their mother is really alive and they might be able to find her, and the drive to Houston soon turns into a road trip with Vincent, Julius, Vincent's girlfriend Linda and Linda's sister Marnie. They are pursued by Webster, the criminal responsible for transporting the fuel injector. Hilarity Ensues
News broke in Summer 2013 that a sequel, called.. What else, Triplets
, is apparently going into production soon with Eddie Murphy
as the third brother. That sound you can hear is the entire world doing a collective "What?"
This film provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion - Julius's line: "If you're lying, I'll be back."
- Adorkable - Julius
- Babies Ever After - At the end, lo and behold, the twins have married the twins and have each had...twins.
- Bedroom Adultery Scene - Vincent's introductory scene.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Julius
- Big Guy, Little Guy
- Blatant Lies: Dr. Mitchell Traven denied any knowledge of the program. This pissed Julius off.
"I don't know who you are! And I don't know what you're talking about!"
- Car Skiing: Julius does one of these completely by accident his first time driving a car.
Julius: Maybe I can teach you that sometime.
Vincent: Let me give you a little advice: here in America, nobody likes a smartass.
- Conscience Makes You Go Back: Julius makes Vincent grow a conscience, which irritates Vincent to no end.
Why did you come back? Vincent:
Why? I'll tell you why, it's because I have a disease called a conscience. Julius:
No one said doing the right thing was easy. Vincent:
"No one said doing the right thing was easy.
- The Cynic - Vincent has had ONE too many disappointments in his life to believe in concepts like love, kindness and hope.
- Double In-Law Marriage: The end has the twins marrying sisters.
- Genius Bruiser: Julius
- Gentle Giant - Keep in mind that this role was VERY Playing Against Type for Arnold at first.
- Hot for Teacher: Vincent somehow managed to seduce one of the nuns at the orphanage where he grew up. Got them both kicked out.
- Informed Ability - Some of Julius' abilities, like his superior skill at math.
- In the Blood - Taken literally as Vincent is made up of every undesirable gene they didn't want in Julius.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold - Vincent.
- Jerkass - Mitchell Traven. He treats Vincent like crap, because his unexpected birth was the reason the program was shut down. Also because of it, he told Mary Ann, their birth mother, that her (only) child died at birth.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Vincent
- Loan Shark - Vincent is hounded by the family of loan sharks almost every other scene. Played for laughs, as they are continuously injured and quite non-threatening.
- Mama Bear: "You stole my family, you son of a BITCH!!"
- Missing Mom
- Mistaken Identity: When they first meet, Vincent thinks Julius is a debt collector working for the Klane brothers.
- Nice Guy - Julius.
- Pet the Dog: Or cat in this case, as Vincent - despite being a consistent jerk - is very kind and loving towards his pet cat (ironically named Julius).
- Polar Opposite Twins - Duh.
- Separated at Birth - Natch.
- All because of Dr. Traven.
- Something Else Also Rises: When Marnie falls asleep on Julius, it causes his bicep to bulge to the point where it rips his shirt.
- Took a Level in Jerkass - Of course Vincent was kind of a jerkass his whole life, but became a bigger jerkass after he was told their mother died and took it out on Linda and Julius.
- He was also told that he wasn't planned and was the made out of everything they didn't want in Julius. That certainly didn't do much for his mood.
- Twin Telepathy: Naturally. The Twins are even in constant Synchronization, much to Vincent's initial annoyance.
- We Named the Monkey Jack: Vincent named his beloved cat Julius, but long before finding out about his brother. It qualifies, though, in that it is another example of the Twins being on the same wavelength, even if they were unaware of it.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Julius.