2011 French film directed by CÚline Sciamma (Water Lilies
Ten years old Laure is used to moving around. She's moving once again, but this time her parents plan on staying in a suburb for a while.
She meets Lisa, a girl her age, who mistakes her for a boy. Laure introduces herself to Lisa and the local children as "MickaŰl ". She keeps this secret from her parents, and it is summer so she hasn't ran into any problems with school yet. She also develops a mutual crush on Lisa.
Not to be confused with Tommy Boy
This movie contains examples of:
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Jeanne, though a mild example.
- Attractive Bent-Gender
- Berserk Button: Don't mess with Jeanne. Laure will take you down.
- Bifauxnen: Laure.
- Big Brother Instinct: Laure has one toward her little sister, who says she used to beat up anyone who teased her and that their old neighborhood was scared of her. She could have been exaggerating, but Laure gets into a fight with a boy who pushed her sister and wins.
- Bittersweet Ending: Laure is forced to be seen as a girl again, the kids humiliate her, and Lisa seems to have broken off her romance with her.. But it seems Laure and Lisa are still friends.
- Boyish Short Hair: Laure has very short hair.
- Butch Lesbian: ...Or transgender boy?
- Book Ends: Near the beginning Laure introduces herself as "Mickael" and at the end she introduces herself again as Laure.
- First Kiss: Lisa drags "Mickael" to a secluded area, and kisses her.
- Humiliation Conga: Poor Laure goes through this. Her mom makes her appear as a girl to a boy she beat up and to her girlfriend, she is humiliated by the other kids and Lisa breaks up with her.
- Kids Are Cruel: The boys force Laure to take off her short pants towards the end.
- One of the Boys
- Outdoorsy Gal: Laure.
- Recursive Crossdressing: When Lisa and "Mickael" play with some girly makeup after the dance.
- Spiritual Successor: To Ma Vie En Rose.
- Stock Scream: None other than the Wilhelm Scream.
- Sweet on Polly Oliver: Lisa and Laure develop a romance.
- Tomboy: Exactly What It Says on the Tin, and taken Up to Eleven (not only does she behave like a boy, she passes as a boy).
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Laure and Jeanne, Laure and Lisa.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Near the very end of the movie, Laure's mom forces Laure to wear a dress and go to apologize to the boy she beat up for pushing Jeanne. She also is forced to go her girlfriend's house too.