Justin: Why are you talking like that?
This movie provides examples of:
- Animal Motif: Justin’s “power animal” is a deer. Implied that Perry’s is a wolf.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Joel
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Justin gets diagnosed with ADHD and put on medication, and we get a little montage of the way it affects him, such as high-detail zoom-ins on the words and pictures when he reads Moby-Dick.
- Coming-of-Age Story
- Deadpan Snarker: Justin, at times.
- Eating Lunch Alone: Or: Sucking Your Thumb Alone In The Bathroom During Lunch
- The Film of the Book
- Jukebox Musical: In the sense that all the music in the film is done by Tim DeLaughter and The Polyphonic Spree.
- Imagine Spot
- In with the In Crowd: With the debate team, after Justin starts taking medication.
- It Was with You All Along: There are no physical or emotional effects from sucking your thumb, Perry says.
- One-Word Title
- The Quiet One/Loners Are Freaks: Justin
- Stoners: Rebecca's group after she leaves the debate team.
- Throw It In: Justin's reaction to Rebecca "breaking up" with him was ad-libbed by Lou Pucci.
- Trailers Always Spoil: The DVD blurb pretty much tells you the entire film.
- Wild Teen Party: Briefly, in the hotel room at the debate regionals.