Film / Third Man on the Mountain
Third Man On The Mountain
is a 1959 Walt Disney
film about a Swiss teenager, Rudi Matt, who has a dream to climb a mountain, "The Citadel", that has never been climbed before. Unfortunately, at the moment, he is a kitchen worker at a local inn. Rudi has a special reason: His father had died attempting to climb the mountain. He proves himself with the support of his girlfriend, Lisbeth Hempel. He also learns to realize that there are things more important than mere glory.
- Arcadia: Justified when you think about it. All the rich Upper Class Twits that come in to climb and leave their money behind allows the town to be as Arcadia-like as it wishes.
- An Axe to Grind: Everyone has an ice axe. Naturally enough.
- Badass Crew: Most of the male characters, at least toward the end. Their main occupation—and recreation—automatically qualifies them.
- Be Yourself
- Big Brother Instinct: Rudi's uncle takes care of his widowed sister (Rudi's mother). One reason he is hard on Rudi is that he knows that Rudi's ambitions are likely to hurt his sister.
- The Chick: Lisbeth .
- She also shows a latent streak of The Tomboy as well. She is a good climber and in one scene she helps to train Rudi.
- Coming of Age
- Glory Seeker: Everybody, naturally enough, given such an ostentatiously insane recreation, but especially Rudi.
- Rudi's uncle is really a pragmatist who climbs mainly because people pay him, and would probably have a safer occupation than a guide if he could.
- The guide from a rival town though is probably even more of a Glory Seeker then Rudi, especially as he isn't a teenager.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Rudi's father had died protecting an injured man. Rudi sacrifices the glory of being the first to the top for the same reason.
- Hollywood Tactics: Not as bad as some. But does anyone climb in the Alps with no gloves? Sounds like a good way to get your hand stuck to the ice until you have to tear it off.
- In the Blood: Invoked. Lisbeth actually says Mountain climbing is in Rudi's blood because of his father.
- Kill It with Ice: More like being in danger of being killed by ice.
- My Girl Back Home: Lisbeth.
- Native Guide: The main industry of the village is providing guides to tourists.
- Old Master: The Innkeeper is a retired guide and takes time off to teach Rudi.
- Planet of Hats: The local village's hat is mountain climbing. Justified as assisting rich tourists is the main industry.
- Quirky Town: Not particularly quirky, but a nice and decent place to live-that has some badassery to brag about, to add to things.
- Refusal of the Call: Several of the local professional guides are afraid of The Citadel. Naturally enough.
- Scaling the Summit: This is Rudi's dream, to be the first on top of The Citadel.
- Scenery Porn: This is Switzerland. Enough said.
- Snow Means Death: Well, obviously.
- Turn Out Like His Father: Rudi's family is afraid he will die like his father.
- Undying Loyalty : Lisbeth to Rudi.
- Very Loosely Based on a True Story: Vaguely inspired by the ascent of the Matterhorn.
- Yodel Land
- When You Snatch the Pebble: Rudi's training includes climbing a cliff with a full pack.