is a 2012 comedy movie about a Neighborhood Watch that discovers an Alien Invasion
. It stars Ben Stiller
, Vince Vaughn, Jonah Hill, and Richard Ayoade. It is directed by The Lonely Island
member Akiva Schaffer and written by Seth Rogen
and Evan Goldberg.
Originally titled Neighborhood Watch
, it was retitled and the marketing was changed to focus on the aliens after an incident in Florida where a Neighborhood Watchman shot a teenager dead.
The story takes place in the small town of Glenview, Ohio. It begins when Evan Trautwig (Ben Stiller) forms the Watch after the night watchmen at the place he works is killed and the police doesn't seem to care. He's joined by three others: Bob (Vince Vaughn), a construction worker with a rebellious daughter, Franklin (Jonah Hill), a high school dropout who wanted to be a policeman but failed all the necessary tests, and Jamarcus (Richard Ayoade), a recent divorcee. None of them are as dedicated as Evan, though.
Then they quite literally crash into the aliens' plot, who are replacing people in the town as part of their preparation for a full invasion of Earth. Now its up to them to find out who has been replaced and stop them in time!
Tropes in The Watch:
- Achilles' Heel: Turns out the only way to kill the aliens is to shoot them in their brains, which are located in their dicks.
- Alien Blood: According to Bob, it has the consistency and smell of cum.
- And according to Jamarcus, the taste.
- Aliens Are Bastards: Why are the aliens invading Earth?
- Alien Arts Are Appreciated: Jamarcus: "...also the ballsucking was a real eye opener."
- Alien Blood
- Brick Joke: Jamarcus mentions early on that one of his dream scenarios is an asian woman coming up to him and offering to suck on his balls. When he and Evan happen upon an orgy, this exact thing happens.
- Bob says "I swear to God I will rip his (his daughter's boyfriend's) dick off with my bare hands". Her boyfriend turns out to be an alien, and he does exactly that.
- The Cameo: From Lonely Island members Andy Samberg, Jorma Taccone and director Akiva Schaffer playing casual masturbators at the orgy.
- Chekhov's Gun: The alien orb powers the beacon that contacts the rest of the alien race and is used to blow up all of CostCo to destroy the aliens.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Evan's neighbor, who the Watch suspects of being an alien and torturing people in his basement. He isn't one, and is in fact hosting an orgy.
- Also Jamarcus, who can act a little weird some times justified, in that he's an alien
- Date Rape Averted: played straight
- Easily Thwarted Alien Invasion
- Executive Meddling: The title being changed and the marketing being shifted to focus on the aliens, spoiling what was meant to be a surprise plot point.
- Foreshadowing: At the beginning, Evan is seen briefly closing the latch that leads to CostCo's basement. Which is where the aliens are holding the beacon.
- Four Temperament Ensemble: Evan is Choleric, Bob is Sanguine, Franklin is Melancholic and Jamarcus is Phlegmatic.
- Five-Man Band
- Groin Attack: This is how the aliens are killed.
- Guns Akimbo: Jamarcus. Yes, him.
- Happy Ending: Everybody gets one. Even Jamarcus.
- Heel-Face Turn: Jamarcus, who was an alien all along. The reason? He likes human sex!
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Doug Jones plays one of the main aliens.
- Knife Nut: Franklin is always playing with his Butterfly Knife
- Let's Get Dangerous: Jamarcus
- Overprotective Dad/Papa Wolf: Bob
- Parody: Of Alien Invasion movies.
- Police Are Useless
- Possession Implies Mastery: subverted. "What do you mean 'basic'? Look at it, it's not 'basic'! This looks commmmmmmmplicated."
- Replicant Snatching
- Red Herring: Evan's neighbor isn't really an alien.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: The shotgun-toting redneck farmer.
- Stepford Smiler: Evan's neighbor.
- Vulgar Humor: And how! Just about all of the humour relies on profanity, sexual references, gross-out gags, and sometimes, even combinations of them, but the aliens' one weakness turning out to be fatal damage to the groin is the part that really takes the cake.