Film: The Ugly Truth
A 2009 romantic comedy starring Gerard Butler and Katherine Heigl, The Ugly Truth focuses on just that: the ugly truth between the differences of how men and women go about courtship, which can be boiled down to the placement of the hearts on the movie poster.The main character Abby Richter is an uptight TV producer whose show isn't getting the ratings it needs to stay on air. In order to bring them back up, the station owner hires Mike Chadway to add his segment 'The Ugly Truth' to their show. Mike's cynical outlook and relationship advice does not click with Abby's romantic beliefs and they constantly argue. Until Abby's dream man Colin moves in next door and she wants to get his attention. She cuts a deal with Mike: if his advice can land her the man she wants, proving his theories on relationships, she will work with him without complaint, but if it fails, Mike agrees to quit.Has nothing to do with Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
This movie provides examples of:
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Mike encourages Abby to do this:"If you don't want to have sex with you then why would Colin?"
- All Men Are Perverts: Deconstructed, Mike only acts the way he does because he was spurned by a woman in a previous relationship. Otherwise he shows genuine concern for Abby when she warms up to him.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension
- Be a Whore to Get Your Man: What Mike advises Abby to do with Colin. It works. Also a complaint about the movie, as said below.
- Though in fairness to the film she realizes that doing this has netted her a rather phony relationship and ends up with the guy who knew her as herself.
- Brutal Honesty: The premise of Mike's show "The Ugly Truth" concerning relationship advice. Also a major part of his personality.
- Caught on the Jumbotron: Abby spills her drink on Colin's lap. She starts scrubbing quite vigorously. Of course, they get caught on the Jumbotron, and it looks like she's jerking him off.
- Control Freak: Abby.
- Erotic Eating: Eat phallic shaped food to get your man.
- "Friends" Rent Control: Abby lives in a nice spacious apartment despite her running a failing TV network.
- Happy Dance: Abby's spazzy dance, as Mike names it.
- Hollywood California: The movie was set in Sacramento, but was clearly filmed mostly in L.A., it even involved a balloon festival that is prohibited by Sacramento law.
- Innocent Innuendo: What follows when Abby spills Colin's soda.
- The First Cut Is the Deepest: Subverted. Abby suspects that the reason Mike is such a sexist is because he had his heart broken by a woman once. But it turns out that it wasn't just one woman; his sexism developed because he was mistreated in every relationship he'd ever been in.
- The Immodest Orgasm: The dinner scene.
- Jerkass Fašade: Mike, as evidenced when he corrects his nephew's behavior towards girls in his class and when he leaves Abby so she can be with Colin
- Matchmaker Crush: Mike for Abby
- Only Sane Man: Abby is the only woman who doesn't find Mike's sexism irresistible.
- Playing Cyrano: Mike instructs Abby on how to ensnare and hold on to the handsome, and comparatively charming doctor of her dreams. Instead of being interested in the Roxane of the scenario, however, Mike's Cyrano ends up falling for Abby's Christian.
- Precision F-Strike: Abby's been spending time with Mike, and it shows.Mike: "Did you just say cock?"
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Abby, eventually.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Mike and Abby's relationship.
- You Know What You Did: Played for laughs during Abby and Colin's date at the baseball game