A journey through time!The Timekeeper
, also known as From Time to Time
or Le Visionarium
, was a CircleVision 360 Film attraction produced for the Disney Theme Parks
in 1992, shown at Disneyland Paris, Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom and Tokyo Disneyland. The attraction takes the form of a demonstration of a time machine created by mad robot scientist The Timekeeper (Robin Williams
). To share time travel with a wider audience, the Timekeeper also designed a flying camera robot named 9-Eye (Rhea Perlman), so named for her 9 cameras that provide a 360 degree experience.
9-Eye is sent through time by The Timekeeper, so that she can send back the surrounding images as she records them in whichever era she ends up finding herself in. When sending 9-Eye to the Exposition Universelle in 1889 in Paris to see Jules Verne
(Michel Piccoli) and H. G. Wells
). When Verne scoffs at Wells' ideas of time-travel, he encounters 9-Eye and ends up hitching a ride into the modern world.
At Disneyland Paris and Tokyo Disneyland, the attraction was replaced with Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters
, while at Magic Kingdom it was replaced with Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor
The Timekeeper provides examples of the following tropes:
- Beethoven Was an Alien Spy: The ending of the film has Verne and Wells riding in a functional flying time machine. When asked how they got it, they only reply "In the future, anything is possible."
- Deadpan Snarker: Both Timekeeper and 9-Eye have their moments.
- San Dimas Time: When Jules is taken to the future, the Timekeeper is concerned about getting Jules back in time for a presentation he's making at the Exposition.
- Special Effects: The Timekeeper and its original European counterpart Le Visionarium marked the first time that the Circle-Vision film process was used to deliver a narrative story line. This required a concept to explain the unusual visual characteristics of the Theater, hence the character 9-Eyes.
- "The Timekeeper would love to take the time to take you on a trip through TIME!"
- "A journey through time!"
- Time Travel: Jules Verne follows 9-Eye into the modern world.