(or reimagining, as the marketing preferred) of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
, released in 2003. It was the first horror film remake produced by Platinum Dunes.
Five youths driving through Texas run afoul of family of deranged maniacs named the Hewitts, including its sadistic patron Sheriff Hoyt and the disfigured butcher named Leatherface.
to the film was released in 2006
This film provides examples of:
- Asshole Victim: Morgan was the biggest jerk of the teenagers and ends up partially bifurcated.
- Broken Heel: At one point, it's Leatherface who trips during the chase.
- The Cameo: Harry Jay Knowles shows up as a severed head in the Hewitts' basement.
- Car Fu: Erin runs over Sheriff Hoyt repeatedly.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Monty has a small dog that, after his introduction, never appears again, in either the films or comics.
- Deadly Road Trip: When you're taking a road trip through Texas, never make a stop at the Hewitt's house.
- Determinator: Even after getting one of his arms cut off, Leatherface still tries to kill Erin.
- Torture Cellar: A large portion of the Hewitt's household has cutting tools and meat hooks for Leatherface to use.