The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
is a 1986 horror film, which has Tobe Hooper
returning to his most famous material
. Unlike the first film, this film has more comedic tone.
The family from the first film has expanded its activities into barbecue business, which they make from their victims. After hearing one of their attacks during her show, radio-host Vanita Brock (Caroline Williams) starts tracking them. A former Texas Marshall named "Lefty" Enright (Dennis Hopper) is also tracking them, with vengeance on his mind.
This film has the examples of:
- Asshole Victim: The obnoxious drunk idiots at the beginning.
- Backup Twin: Chop Top is apparently the twin brother of Nubbins from the original.
- Badass: Lieutenant "Lefty" Enright. After thirteen years of searching for for his niece and nephew's killers, he finally confronts them in an epic chainsaw fight to the death.
- Big Damn Heroes: A chainsaw-wielding Lefty finds the family's dining room in time to interrupt the family's attempts to slaughter Stretch, who he didn't know was there in the first place.
- Body Horror: LG's face is cut off with an electric carving knife. While he is still alive. And he stays that way for several minutes.
- Chop Top has an exposed metal plate, which he constantly picks at with a heated coat hanger, eating whatever skin gets caught on it. At the film's climax, he gets an electric shock delivered straight to it.
- And the idea of of turning your head to a car and seeing your best friend at the wheel with half his head sawed in half and sliding off as it's still driving.
- Circus of Fear: Texas Battle Land, the run-down amusement park in which the Sawyers hide and prepare their victims.
- Death by Irony: The Sawyers all end up being chainsawed to death (Leatherface and Chop Top are impaled through the guts, while Drayton is stabbed/hacked through the back) as a result of one of their latest victims and a relative of their victims from the first film.
- Dead Guy Puppet: The hitchhiker from the first film has become a dried-up husk of a corpse named Nubbins. At first, Leatherface wears Nubbins like a costume. And then later, Chop Top uses Nubbins as a puppet.
- Determinator: Leatherface continues fighting Lefty even after he is impaled by a running chainsaw.
- LG manages to cling on to life despite being beaten in the head with a hammer over a dozen times and having his face cut off, lasting long enough to cut Stretch free as a final heroic act.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Leatherface licking his lips and making pelvic thrusts with his chainsaw in the general vicinity of Stretch's crotch. Not surprising, given that this leads to a very confusedly sexual scene that actually convinces Leatherface to not kill Stretch.
- Drop the Hammer: Chop Top brains LG with a hammer, while the Sawyers try to get Grandpa to do this to Stretch.
- Dual Wielding: Lefty combats Leatherface with a chainsaw in each hand at the climax of the film.
- Dynamic Entry: Lefty emerging from a tunnel into the family's dining room, chainsaw revving. While singing "Bringing in the Sheaves."
- Evil Albino: Chop Top.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Both Leatherface and Chop Top get skewered through the guts with a running chainsaw at the film's climax.
- Mummies at the Dinner Table: Nubbins's corpse has been turned into a crude puppet. Meanwhile, Grandma's corpse is kept enshrined in a similar manner.
- New-Age Retro Hippie: Chop Top is this. He's also a psychotic Vietnam veteran.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: The eldest Saywer brother is referred to in all of the subtitles as "Cook", the name by which he is also known by fans. His actual name is given early in the movie, at the chilli contest: it's Drayton Sawyer.
- Refuge in Audacity: Drayton Sawyer not only keeps his brothers murdering and eating people, he starts selling human meat as a legitimate business. He even enters (and, during the events of the film, wins for the second time) a chilli-cook-off-contest with human flesh chilli.
- Sliding Scale of Comedy and Horror: After the serious and deranged original film comes... a horror comedy?
- Tear Off Your Face: LG gets his face cut off with an electric carving knife.