Film: The Taking Of Beverly Hills
The Taking of Beverly Hills is a heist film in which the a very rich man decides to commit a robbery in Beverly Hills just because he can. He takes advantage of a big problem with police. Because it is exorbitantly expensive to live in Beverly Hills, all of its police, even the chief, live somewhere outside of the city. So if he can trap the on-duty police in the station, and cause a few road blocks to prevent the off-duty cops from getting into the city, he can basically hit any place he wants.
This film provides examples of:
- Awesome Personnel Carrier: the SWAT Team "tank" ridden by The Dragon.
- Chase Scene: Multiple scenes, including one where The Dragon rams his APC through multiple walls and backyard fences to get to Boomer and Kelvin and one inside of a multiple-level parking lot (where both the heroes and The Dragon get crazy with attempting to Kill It with Fire, the heroes with Molotov Cocktails and a can of gasoline and The Dragon with a flamethrower).
- Die Hard on an X: Die Hard with the whole of Beverly Hills as a battleground.
- Dirty Cop: A whole platoon of them, pretty pissed at feeling swindled by having to look after so many rich people.
- Handicapped Badass: Hayes was forced to retire from football after getting a busted knee, and this only affects him very early on before he applies a cortisone injection to said knee.
- Heel-Face Turn: Ed Kelvin, formerly one of the robbers, joins Hayes to fight off the rest when he grows disgusted at the robbers' tactics (among other things, they kill the mayor of Beverly Hills, after they told Kelvin that there would be no killing).
- Insurance Fraud: The Big Bad's final objective of the heist is to have the robbers steal a priceless mural embedded on his house's wall and bury it alongside other high-priced arts that were also there, so he can collect the insurance.
- I Know Madden Kombat: Hayes' experience as a football player (although one that now has a bad knee, which forced him to retire) provides him with the physical skills necessary to survive a Die Hard on an X situation.
- It Came from Beverly Hills.
- Right Man in the Wrong Place: Happens to "Boomer" Hayes (an ex-football player who was relaxing on his date's house up until the crooks came a-calling).