A 1977 horror film directed by Michael Winner, adapted from the novel of the same name by Jeffrey Konvitz (who also produced the film and wrote its screenplay adaptation with Winner). It stars Christina Raines and Chris Sarandon, with a supporting cast that includes Martin Balsam, John Carradine, Jose Ferrer, Ava Gardner, Burgess Meredith, and Eli Wallach.Supermodel Alison Parker (Raines) moves into a nice Brooklyn Heights apartment, and finds out the tenant on the top floor of her building is a blind priest, Father Hallerin (Carradine). Pretty soon, she starts having strange physical problems, trouble sleeping, and flashbacks to her attempted suicide.Not to be confused with the 1990s TV show, or the 2006 movie starring Michael Douglas and Kiefer Sutherland.
This movie contains examples of:
- Big Bad: Charles Chazen, heavily implied to be Satan himself.
- Broken Bird: Alison has issues due to her father being abusive, which caused her to lose her faith and attempt suicide.
- Cat Scare
- Christianity Is Catholic: The Catholic Church is responsible for preventing the door to Hell from being opened. Alison is also a non-practicing Catholic at the beginning.
- Dead All Along: The other residents of Alison's apartment building. Used to great effect when Alison talks with Michael at the end.
- Downer Ending: Alison, much to her own dismay, becomes the next sentinel and now watches over the gate, as the brownstone is torn down and made into a modern apartment complex, with she still guards.
- Evil All Along: Michael, who had his wife murdered so that he could be with Alison.
- Eye Scream: While fighting off the corpse of her dead father, Alison cuts his eye with a knife.
- Fan Disservice: A flashback shows a young Alison walking in on a threesome her elderly father is having with two obese women.
- Horny Devils
- Hot as Hell: The apartment is a gateway to Hell
- Legions of Hell: "I am one of the Legion of the Dead."
- Peek-a-Boo Corpse: Alison's undead father.
- Religion Is Magic / Religious Horror: The film plays with this, enforcing the usage of Christianity Is Catholic along with the fact Catholic priests keep the gate closed.
- Those Two Guys: Detectives Gatz and Rizzo.
- You Can't Fight Fate: Alison ends up becoming the next sentinel, despite trying to escape this fate.