The Roommate is a 2011 horror-thriller released by Screen Gems. Minka Kelly, Leighton Meester and Cam Gigandet star.College freshman Sara is randomly assigned to a dorm with a stranger named Rebecca. They start off as friends, but things turn deadly as Rebecca begins to obsess over Sara.Despite its similarities (including a scene that is almost exactly the same shot for shot), it is not a remake of or a sequel to Single White Female as many people believe.
The film provides the following tropes:
- Action Survivor: Sara, Stephen, and Irene. Tracy counts too, seeing she moves out of the dorms after being attacked before anything of the murders happens.
- Big Damn Heroes: Stephen shows up just in time to save Irene, though it takes Sara to defeat Rebecca in the end.
- Brains and Bondage: Well, either fashion designer Irene just happened to have a ballgag lying around or talented artist Rebecca went and got one.
- Fanservice: Tracy's shower scene, with the gratuitous shots of her stomach.
- Fan Disservice: Rebecca attacks Tracy while in the shower, and rips out her belly piercing.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Rebecca is barefoot at all times in dorms.
- Good Bad Girl: Tracy is really nice, she's just kind of flighty. Rebecca disapproves of this, very much.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Sara. It doesn't make her a bad person, but her roommate is a psycho, her best friend drunkenly ditches her at a frat party, her (married) fashion design teacher (who she insisted on having) wanted her sexually, and her boyfriend spills beer on her and tries to take her up to his room five seconds after meeting her.
- Hot for Student: Professor Roberts lost his job over it.
- I Just Want to Be You: Rebecca's intention toward Sara.
- Shoulders-Up Nudity: Tracy gives us this as she disrobes in the sexiest way possible in her shower scene.
- Straight Edge Evil: Rebecca is a Puritanical devout Christian with a horror of moral decadence.
- The Reveal: When Rebecca takes Sara to her parents' house for Thanksgiving, her mother asks if Rebecca has been taking her medication. As Rebecca enters the room, her mother then says something along the lines of "Well, I hope you girls have fun!" Later, Sara searches through Rebecca's stuff until she finds the medication in question, noticing that the bottle is full. Sara looks up the medicine's name online, and finds out that Rebecca is (supposed to be) taking medicine for bipolar/schizophrenic behavior.