is a 2011 horror-thriller released by Screen Gems.
College freshman Sara is randomly assigned to a dorm with a stranger named Rebecca. They start off as friends, but things turn deadly as Rebecca begins to obsess over Sara.
Despite its similarities, it is not a remake of or a sequel to Single White Female
as many people believe.
The film provides the following tropes:
- Action Girl: Sara in the climax.
- Action Survivor: Sara, Stephen, and Irene. Tracy counts too, seeing she moves out of the dorms after being attacked before anything of the murders happens.
- Ax-Crazy: Guess who?
- Big Damn Heroes: Stephen shows up just in time to save Irene, though it takes Sara to defeat Rebecca in the end.
- Brains and Bondage: Well, either fashion designer Irene just happened to have a ballgag lying around or talented artist Rebecca went and got one.
- Fanservice: Tracy's shower scene, with the gratuitous shots of her stomach.
- Dawson Casting: Minka Kelly was born in 1980 and Leighton Meester in 1986.
- Although if Rebecca was held out of college due to mental issues, she could be older than the age of the average freshman
- Does Not Like Shoes: Rebecca is barefoot at all times in dorms.
- Good Bad Girl: Tracy is really nice, she's just kind of flighty. Rebecca disapproves of this, very much.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Lyla Garrity and Blair Waldorf are roommates. Marti Perkins and Ryan McCarthy also go to school with them. So does Bonnie Bennett.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Sara. It doesn't make her a bad person, but her roommate is a psycho, her best friend drunkenly ditches her at a frat party, her (married) fashion design teacher (who she insisted on having) wanted her sexually, and her boyfriend spills beer on her and tries to take her up to his room five seconds after meeting her.
- Hot for Student: Professor Roberts lost his job over it.
- I Just Want to Be You: Rebecca's intention toward Sara.
- Ironic Echo: "You were never my friend."
- Kick the Dog: Poor, poor Cuddles.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Irene.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Leighton Meester admits that she held back during the scenes where she fought Minka Kelly, out of fear of injuring her since the two have been friends for years. She apologized to her after every take.
- Stalker with a Crush: Rebecca.
- Straight Edge Evil: Rebecca is a Puritanical devout Christian with a horror of moral decadence.
- The Reveal: When Rebecca takes Sara to her parents' house for Thanksgiving, her mother asks if Rebecca has been taking her medication. As Rebecca enters the room, her mother then says something along the lines of "Well, I hope you girls have fun!" Later, Sara searches through Rebecca's stuff until she finds the medication in question, noticing that the bottle is full. Sara looks up the medicine's name online, and finds out that Rebecca is (supposed to be) taking medicine for bipolar/schizophrenic behavior.
- Villainous Breakdown: Rebecca has one in the climax.
- Yandere: Rebecca.