A 2005 comedy starring Johnny Knoxville, Brian Cox, and Katherine Heigl.Steve Baker hates his job. After two years of being stuck in a menial position, he finally works up the nerve to ask his boss for a promotion. To his surprise, he gets it, but there's a hitch: His first assignment is to fire the janitor, his friend Stavi. He does, but decides to cut him a break, and hire him to mow the lawn at his apartment...where Stavi gets his fingers cut off trying to get the mower working. With no insurance, and not enough money to afford the operation, all seems hopeless. Enter Steve's Uncle Gary, a dirtbag deep in money to some bad people. After seeing a spot on superstar Special Olympics athlete Jimmy Washington, he hatches a plan to save his own skin, and Stavi's fingers: Have Steve pretend to be mentally challenged and enter him in the Special Olympics.
This film provides examples of:
- Bad "Bad Acting": Steve's disabled act doesn't fool the real disabled athletes for a minute.Mark: I've seen better acting on pornos!
- It does do a good job at fooling the workers and audience, though.
- Barrier-Busting Blow: After admitting his act to a preacher in a confessional, said preacher proceeds to punch through the window and right in Steve's face.
- Butt-Monkey: Karma never misses an opportunity to bite Steve in the ass for what he's doing.
- Counting to Potato: Steve Baker is pretending to be mentally retarded, and one of the things he says while practicing in the mirror is, "I can count to potato!"
- Darkhorse Victory: Glen, one of the other athletes that Steve befriends, wins the competition, while Jimmy places second and Steve third (and even then, Steve will gives up his medal to another athlete when he decides he can't keep up the charade anymore.) However, Steve still wins the bet that gets him the money he needs, since the bet wasn't for Steve to win, but for Jimmy to lose.
- Fingore: Stavi gets his fingers chopped off fiddling with the mower.
- Graceful Loser: Jimmy Washington, despite being portrayed a Jerk Jock with an ego problem, is polite about his silver medal.
- Inspirationally Disadvantaged: Played with. The athletes are disabled, but they know how to play it up around their supervisors.
- Jerk Jock: Jimmy Washington.
- Large Ham: Brian Cox has fun with his limited role.Steve: Actually I need $28,000.Gary: 28 GRAND! What'd you do, knock up a cheerleading squad?!"
- Not So Above It All: The priest who punches out Steve for attempting to cheat in the Special Olympics is later seen in a bar betting on him with his uncle's bookie..
- Obfuscating Disability: Played for Laughs. Steve, hoping to win big, fakes being mentally handicapped to compete in the Special Olympics. The other athletes see through him immediately, but help him keep up the facade, because they're hoping he can defeat Jerk Jock frontrunner Jimmy.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Steve slipping out of his disabled voice in annoyance is what tips the other athletes off that he's faking.
- Precision F-Strike: When David's trying to cover the athletes' late return.
- David: We stopped off for ice cream.Winston: When the fuck did we get ice cream?
- Take That!: Among Steve's movies about mentally challenged people is "The Best of Chevy Chase".