Film: The Plague of the Zombies
A Hammer Horror
film from the year 1966.
Mysterious deaths are happening around a small village in Cornwall
. Local doctor Peter Thompson writes a letter about this to his mentor Sir James Forbes. Dr. Thompson's wife Alice happens to be a friend Sir James's daughter Sylvia, and she convinces him to pay a visit. As they arrive, they run into a plot of using zombified people
as a labor for a closed tin mine.
This film provides examples of:
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Hamilton.
- Catapult Nightmare: Dr. Thompson waking up from his nightmare.
- Even Evil Has Standards: When Hamilton's men snatch Sylvia and attempt to have "fun" with her, Hamilton halts them and lets her leave his house untouched. He still tries to turn her into a zombie, though.
- Eye Awaken: Done when Sylvia becomes a zombie.
- Grave Robbing: Because local superstitions keeps Dr. Thompson from performing a proper autopsy, he and Sir James have to resort to robbing a grave in an attempt to perform one.
- Improvised Weapon: When Sir James attacked by one of Hamilton's men, he defends himself with a candlestick.
- Man on Fire: When the voodoo dolls controlling the zombies catch fire, so do they.
- The Power of Blood: Blood is an essential part of turning someone into a zombie.
- Secret Path: Hidden door in Hamilton's study leads to the caverns under his house.
- Rise from Your Grave: After witnessing Alice's second death, Dr. Thompson faints and has a nightmare where he sees the dead rising from their graves.
- Shovel Strike: When zombified Alice closes in on Sir James, he decapitates her with a shovel.
- The X of Y
- You Have 48 Hours: After Dr. Thompson and Sir James are caught grave robbing by two constables, Sir James convinces them to hold their report for 48 hours.