Film / The New York Ripper
The New York Ripper is a Giallo
Film released in 1982 directed by Lucio Fulci
. The story consists of a burnt out detective and a psychiatrist investigating a series of vicious murders by a killer who speaks in a Donald Duck-esque voice.
Typically, the film is filled with Gorn
, some suspense and has incredible amount of sleaze. The film is also regarded as misogynistic, which wouldn't be too inaccurate. Nevertheless, it's competently filmed and is a watchable slasher/Giallo.
This movie provides examples of the following:
- Ambiguously Gay: The psychiatrist Dr. Davis. He's seen buying a gay-oriented magazine at one point.
- Ax-Crazy: The killer.
- The Big Rotten Apple: Even more rotten thanks to the dead bodies piling up!
- Boom, Headshot!: The killer gets shot in the left cheek, leaving two gaping holes you can see through.
- Cassandra Truth: Motor Mouth Mrs. Weissberger tells the detective that the killer speaks in a duck-like rasp. He dismisses it as nonsense.
- Creator Cameo: Fulci is the Chief of Police.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Jane starts masturbating while watching the sex show. Cruelly Played With during her encounter with Morales.
- Disproportionate Retribution: The killer's eight year-old daughter is dying of a degenerative and disfiguring disease. He is taking his frustrations over this out on random women, supposedly because they are a constant reminder of his own child's lost beauty and how she will never get the chance to grow up.
- Driven to Suicide: Mickey Scellenda was found and the coroner ruled the death as a suicide.
- Eye Scream: After being kidnapped by the killer, Kitty the prostitute gets her eye sliced by a razor blade.
- Gorn: It's Fulci.
- Groin Attack: A rare example on a female. The killer kills the sex show performer by stabbing her in the vagina with a broken bottle!!!
- Gutted Like a Fish: The woman riding her bicycle and Jane suffer this fate.
- He-Man Woman Hater: The killer.
- I Can See You: The killer makes calls to Detective Williams every once in a while. One of them asks whether the detective was finished having sex with a prostitute.
- Jerkass: Lt. Williams is the hero protagonist but he is an asshole for the majority of the movie.
- Red Herring: Mickey Scellenda for being nearby when Jane was killed and assaulting Faye after breaking into her boyfriend's apartment.
- Slashed Throat: Faye Majors ends up with one after taking several stabbings from the killer. But then it turns out to be a dream.
- Your Cheating Heart: Subverted. Jane goes to sex shows and visits gigolos but her husband doesn't mind. In fact, she records her orgasmic moans and he seems to enjoy listening to them.