Film: The New York Ripper
The New York Ripper is a Giallo Film released in 1982 directed by Lucio Fulci. The story consists of a burnt out detective and a psychiatrist investigating a series of vicious murders by a killer who speaks in a Donald Duck-esque voice.Typically, the film is filled with Gorn, some suspense and has incredible amount of sleaze. The film is also regarded as misogynistic, which wouldn't be too inaccurate. Nevertheless, it's competently filmed and is a watchable slasher/Giallo.
This movie provides examples of the following:
- Ambiguously Gay: The psychiatrist Dr. Davis.
- Ax-Crazy: The killer.
- Cassandra Truth: Motor Mouth Mrs. Weissberger tells the detective that the killer speaks in a duck-like rasp. He dismisses it as nonsense.
- Creator Cameo: Fulci is the Chief of Police.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Jane starts masturbating while watching the sex show. Cruelly Played With during her encounter with Morales.
- Disproportionate Retribution: The killer's 8-year old girl is dying in hospital of a degenerative disease. Out of frustration, he is slashing all the women he can find in vicious and inhuman ways.
- Gorn: It's Fulci.
- Groin Attack: A rare example on a female. The killer kills the sex show performer by stabbing her in the vagina with a broken bottle!!!
- He-Man Woman Hater: The killer.
- Jerkass: Lt. Williams is a good guy but he is an asshole for the majority of the movie.
- Red Herring: Mickey Scellenda.
- Your Cheating Heart: Subverted. Jane goes to sex shows and visits gigolos but her husband doesn't mind. In fact, she records her orgasmic moans and he seems to enjoy listening to them.