Film: The Needle
The Needle (Игла, Igla) is a 1988 Soviet film directed by Rashid Nugmanov, starring the iconic Soviet rock musician Viktor Tsoi, leader of the band Kino. Tsoi plays enigmatic Moro, who comes home to Alma-Ata, Kazakhstan, to extract a debt from his old buddy Spartacus. He decides to pay a visit to his ex-girlfriend Dina, who in the latest years has become a morphine addict. Moro takes her to the Aral Sea, where she begins to recover. But when they return to Alma-Ata, the drug dealers try to ensnare them with morphine. So Moro confronts their leader, the Doctor, who tries to kill our hero. The film has since become most famous for its soundtrack (written by Tsoi), and Tsoi/Kino fans have a strong Nostalgia Filter for it.
- Adam Westing: Viktor Tsoi is playing As Himself playing Bruce Lee.
- Affably Evil: Arthur. He seems at first a respectable doctor.
- The Aggressive Drug Dealer: The Doctor.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Tsoi as Moro wears pure black outfits he used to wear in real life.
- Deadly Doctor: Arthur AKA the Doctor.
- Dirty Coward: Spartak and his goons too. When the fight turned ugly they left him being beaten by the muslim.
- Downer Ending
- Drugs Are Bad
- Fingerless Gloves
- Going Cold Turkey
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Viktor Tsoi of Kino vs. Peter Mamonov of Zvuki Mu.
- Nice Hat: Arthur.
- Saharan Shipwreck
- Scenery Gorn: Abandoned ships in the Aral sea.
- Scenery Porn: Again, Aral Sea is still quote beautiful.
- Snow Means Death: Averted: Rashid Nugmanov has stated that in the end Moro lives.
- Thirsty Desert
- Toxic Friend Influence: Dina says Arthur is a Good man, helping her she was lonely. But then he introduced her to drugs and drug dealing. Using her flat like warehouse, no less.
- Walk It Off: At the end, after Arthur stabs Moro.
- What the Fu Are You Doing?: Viktor Tsoi's martial arts skills look... Debatable on screen.