A giant monster film from 1957.A string of disappearances happen on a lake in the middle of a desert. The culprits are revealed to be giant mollusks that start rising up from the depths, and their upcoming numbers threaten the US Navy base nearby, and everything else beyond it.
This film has the examples of:
- Autopsy Snack Time: After Twillinger questions the coroner about what he has learned from the drained corpses, he offers him and the sheriff a sandwich ("It's nice and cold"). Twillinger declines.
- Eye Scream: One of the creatures attack Twillinger and company on their boat, and is driven off after it gets its eye poked out.
- Grievous Bottley Harm: Twillinger tries to get one creature's attention by throwing beakers at it. That fails, so he grabs a fire extinguisher.
- Nausea Fuel: The deaths shown on screen and the corpses they leave are rather sickening for a 50's monster movie.
- Night Swim Equals Death: Two lovers Morty and Jodie go swimming in the moonlight, and they soon disappear beneath the surface.
- Race Against the Clock: Creatures' eggs are discovered in the bottom of the lake, and they all must be destroyed before they hatch.
- Touch of the Monster: Posters for the film had variations of scantily clad women in peril at the monsters' claws.