(Зеркало, Zerkalo) is a 1975 semi-autobiographical film by Andrei Tarkovsky
. It is difficult to describe because of the plot, whose non-linear nature defies any kind of concrete narrative structure. It is best to describe it as the thoughts and recollections of Alexei (Ignat Daniltsev) and his son Ignat (Ignat Daniltsev) about his mother Maria (Margarita Terekhova) and wife Natalia (Margarita Terekhova). These memories stretch from the Great Patriotic War
to the present day. The film was never offically released due to Gos Kino
complaints, but has recently been released on DVD and subsequently welcomed into the Tarkovsky oeuvre.
Tropes in this film:
- Acting for Two: Margarita Terekhova in The Mirror. See Doppelgänger below for why.
- Author Avatar: Alexei.
- Autobiographical Role: Tarkovsky's mother plays Maria's mother. His father recites the poem.
- Based on a True Story
- Bio Pic
- Civil War: The Spanish Civil War appears in stock footage in The Mirror and two characters there fled from Spain to the USSR then.
- The Danza: Ignat Daniltsev as Ignat.
- Deliberately Monochrome: Typical Tarkovsky. Monochrome sequences appear throughout the movie.
- Doppelgänger: Margarita Terekhova plays both Alexei's mother and Alexei's wife Natalia, as well as a random ginger-haired girl, to illustrate that Alexei's lack of a father figure and subsequent reliance on his mother causes him to compare all the women he knows to his mother.
- Fanservice: Alexei's mother in The Mirror takes a shower in full view of the camera.
- Gainax Ending
- Great Patriotic War
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Hey, it's Writer from S.T.A.L.K.E.R., or Andrei Rublev, or Sartorius from Solaris, playing the doctor at the beginning!
- Life Embellished
- Production Posse: Common collaborators such as Tarkovsky's father, Arseny, wrote the poems. Meanwhile Anatoly Solonitsyn appeared as a doctor.
- Public Domain Soundtrack: "Herr, unser Herrscher" from the Johannes-Passion by Johann Sebastian Bach plays at the end.
- Random Events Plot
- Scenery Porn
- Stock Footage: The Mirror has lots of stock footage, including scenes of:
- Soviet balloons.
- The Spanish Civil War.
- The Great Patriotic War.
- The Sino-Soviet Border War.
- What Could Have Been: Bibi Andersson and Alla Demidova were considered for the role of Maria/Natalia.
- Write What You Know
- Write Who You Know