Film: The Messenger
"Mama said there'd be days like these.''The Messenger is a 2009 war drama starring Ben Foster as wounded Iraq veteran Staff Sergeant Will Montgomery who joins Captain Tony Stone (Woody Harrelson) as a casualty notification team. The pair goes through a multitude of tribulations together, while Will finds himself drawn to the wife of a deceased soldier the pair visits as a part of the job. Both men are pained by their demons and experiences in the Army.The film was nominated for a Golden Globe and two Oscars.If you're looking for the movie about Mohammad, go here. Or if you're looking for the movie about Joan of Arc, go here.
— Captain Stone
This film contains examples of:
- The Alcoholic: Tony is a recovering alcoholic.
- Badass: Will is a war hero, although he doesn't see it that way.
- Blood Knight: Played with, as Tony says that he wishes he was in a "real war."
- Break the Haughty: Tony has a breakdown when he gets overwhelmed with emotion.
- Captain Smooth and Sergeant Rough: Subverted, as Will (Staff Sergeant) is generally more compassionate towards the next-of-kin they encounter, and Tony (Captain) is more distant.
- Deadpan Snarker: Both Will and Tony has their moments.
- "It could be worse. It could be Christmas."
- Death Notification: Will's new job with Tony.
- Fire-Forged Friends: The pair didn't fight in the same war, but they've "been through hell and back together."
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Jena Mallone of The Hunger Games plays Kelly.
- Manly Tears: Will and Tony have a very serious, very emotional job. There are tears.
- Meet Cute: Averted so very hard. Will and Olivia meet in one of the least romantic ways imaginable.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Will.
- Shout-Out: Tony yells out "Charlie don't surf!" during the fishing scene.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Will gives one to Tony after a confrontation with a deceased soldier's next-of-kin.
- "I know I'm in the Army. I gave blood to the Army. I got blown up in a fire-fight that lasted longer than your entire war. I didn't sunbath in Kuwait with the rest of the POGs."
- War Is Hell
- The War on Terror: Will fought in Iraq.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Tony berates Will for making physical contact with a soldier's next-of-kin.