Film: The Loved Ones
What Lola wants, Lola gets.The Loved Ones is a Aussie horror (though very darkly comical) film released during the Fall of 2010. After turning down Lola's invitation to the prom, teenager Brent finds himself tied up at the girl's home, trapped in a hellish imitation of a prom with Lola and her sick father.It's Misery meets Carrie meets Audition.The film is receiving a theatrical release in the United States during the summer of 2012.
This movie contains the following tropes:
- Almost Kiss - Lola and her father.
- Axe Crazy - Lola, Lola, Lola. . . .
- Beware the Quiet Ones - Both Lola and her father. However there is a major difference. Lola seems quiet and shy at first, but is actually very loud and wicked once Brent is captured. Her father on the other hand seems very reserved and quiet in personality, even when doing horrible things.
- Black Comedy - And how!
- Body Horror - Quite a lot. Poor Brent.
- Disproportionate Retribution - Say no to Lola because you already have a girlfriend? You'd better watch out.
- Electra Complex - Lola. She is clearly jealous and hateful to her mother, and wants her father to love her back. After her father's death, she makes sure to kill her mother. Something she likely wanted to do a long time ago.
- Enfante Terrible - Lola's been torturing boys for a long time.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones - Lola and her father are a disturbing pair, but clearly care for one another.
- Even Evil Has Standards - Lola's father is angry that Brent hit a girl.
- Gory Discretion Shot
- Kick the Dog / Moral Event Horizon - showing us right from the start that Brent's kidnappers mean business.
- Leitmotif - Am I Not Pretty Enough for Lola
- Love Makes You Crazy
- Parental Incest - Although Lola and her father have never slept together, it is clear that both want to. Lola being the aggressor in this case. Unlike her, her father at least seems somewhat hesitant, and understandably so.
- Shown Their Work - Lola and her father's method of lobotomizing their victims with a power drill is similar to Jeffrey Dahmer's method.
- Villainous Breakdown: Lola goes through one when her father dies at Brent's hands and when she's fighting his girlfriend.
- Yandere - Alternately, she could just be Cute and Psycho, especially since she was actually in love with her father not any of the boys she kidnapped and tortured.