The Legend of Hercules
is a 2014 film starring Kellan Lutz
as the titular Greek hero of Classical Mythology
, who is destined to stop the mad king Amphitryon's rule. It also stars Scott Adkins
and Liam McIntyre
, and is directed by Renny Harlin
This film provides examples of:
- 3-D Movie: And unlike Brett Ratner's Hercules, shot natively with real 3D cameras.
- Adaptational Villainy: Amphitryon and Iphicles, the foster father and half-brother of Hercules.
- Adrenaline Time: In the style of 300
- And Now You Must Marry Me: Iphicles tries to force Hebe, Hercules's love interest, into a marriage.
- Ancient Grome: Hercules becomes a gladiator. The Romans invented Gladiator Games, not the Greeks.
- Berserk Button: What happens when one of Hercules' loved ones gets hurt.
- Breaking the Bonds: When Hercules is chained up.
- Faking the Dead: Hercules is at first known by his birth name Alcides, but was named Hercules by Hera. After surviving an Uriah Gambit, he takes the name Hercules so that Alcides can be reported as dead.
- Gladiator Games: Hercules is forced into these when he is enslaved.
- A God I Am Not: Hercules says he's just a man despite being the son of Zeus.
- Hijacked by Jesus: Hercules's conception. Instead of Zeus having sex with his mother Alcmene while disguised as Amphitryon, Hera appears to Alcmene to tell her that she can become the mother of Zeus's son who will deliver the land from evil. Alcmene allows it, and Hera names the son Hercules. This is rather evocative of the angel Gabriel appearing to Jesus's mother Mary as told in the Gospel of Luke in The Bible.
- In Name Only: The story has little to do with the legend of Hercules.
- The Lancer: Sotiris.
- Made a Slave: Hercules and Sotiris.
- Made of Iron: Hercules. He's a demigod after all.
- Mystical Pregnancy: Possibly combined with Express Delivery. Zeus somehow impregnates Alcmene without taking a physical form. She starts to act up in bed even though there is apparently nobody else present.
- Physical God: Well, Hercules. Hera appears in physical form.
- Redshirt Army: Sotiris' army, minus Sotiris himself and Hercules.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Hercules, after Chiron is executed.
- Shirtless Scene: Hercules with Hebe. Not counting the scenes where he fights without chest armor.
- Shock and Awe: In the final battle, Hercules calls upon Zeus who charges his sword into a lightning whip.
- Sword And Sandal
- Uriah Gambit: Hercules is sent away to the wars in Egypt so he can be disposed of.