The Hard Way
is a 1991 action comedy directed by John Badham and starring Michael J. Fox
and James Woods. NYPD cop John Moss (James Woods) is on the case of a serial killer known as "Party Crasher" (Stephen Lang). After a failed attempt to capture the Crasher in which he is injured, Moss is shown on the news having an obscene outburst. Meanwhile, actor Nick Lang (Fox), known as the star of a popular movie series featuring the hero "Smoking" Joe Gunn, wants to be taken more seriously as an actor, and decides to study under Moss after seeing his outburst on the news. This leads Lang to annoy Moss to no end, as well as making an impression on his girlfriend Susan (Annabella Sciorra) and her daughter Bonnie (Christina Ricci
Not to be confused with the Tabletop Game
of the same name.
The Hard Way provides examples of:
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Lang wants to know what it feels like to kill a man. He ends up killing an innocent bystander. Except his gun was loaded with blanks, and the bystander was actually a friend of Moss, who was trying to get Lang to go away.
- Expy: Joe Gunn is a clear expy of Indiana Jones.
- Mood Whiplash: See the entry for This Is Reality below
- Reliably Unreliable Guns: Averted'. Michael J. Fox's character, a spoiled naive actor researching a cop role with a tough cop played by James Woods, gets lucky in a shootout where a man firing at him seems to run out of bullets. The cop knocks the gun against a newstand, and shoots into it, demonstrating it had merely been jammed.
- Stop Helping Me!: In his attempt to help Moss apprehend a gang, Lang gets them shot at by a rival gang. This does not sit well with Moss.
- This Is Reality:
Nick: Ever killed anybody?
John: Counting today?
Nick: C'mon John. Look, my character kills this guy. It's probably an innocent by-stander. I just want to know what that's like.
John: You can't. Not by asking someone.
Nick: Will you open up? I just want to know what it feels like to be inside your skin.
John: I don't want you inside my skin, you understand? It's private! What's in there belongs to me! You're not gonna learn what it means to be a cop by eating hot dogs and picking your teeth and asking stupid questions. We live this job. It's something we are, not something we do! Every time a cop walks up to a car and has to give a speeding ticket, he know he may have to kill someone or be killed himself. That's not something you step into by strapping on a rubber gun and riding around all day. You get to go back to your million dollar beach house and your bimbos and your blow jobs and you get 17 takes to get it right. We get one take. It lasts our whole lives. We mess it up and we're dead.
- Would Hurt a Child: One of the Party Crasher's victims was a four-year old.