Film: The Bubble
The Bubble (or "הבועה" in Hebrew) is a 2006 Israeli film set in urban Tel Aviv, directed by Eytan Fox. It follows the lives and loves of several young Israeli (and Palestinian) people: Noam, a reluctant soldier; Ashraf, his lover from the West Bank; and Yali and Lulu, Noam's housemates (as well as several tertiary characters). The film centres on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and how it intrudes into every part of people's lives, even their most intimate moments.
- Angst: Well, it's a film at least in part about the Arab-Israeli Conflict.
- Arab-Israeli Conflict: And all that it entails.
- Badass Israeli: Averted. Noam is a soldier, but it's pretty clear that he's no big fan of the occupation. He serves only because he's been drafted, and would be happier working at his other job in a record store. And he's not even that muscular.
- Camp Gay: Yali and some of his buddies, much to his boyfriend's derision.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Shaul with Lulu. A type 2 scenario.
- Everybody Has Lots of Sex
- Gayngst: Ashraf's family is conservative and religious. The fact that he is gay and dating a Jewish Israeli probably wouldn't work out too well with them.
- Girlfriend in Canada: Ashraf tells his sister that he's seeing a Muslim divorcée in Jerusalem to explain why he's away from the West Bank so much.
- Grey and Grey Morality: There aren't villains in this film; just people trying to get by and do their best.
- Leave the Two Lovebirds Alone: Subverted. Noam and Yali are about to go to the Sinai to give Lulu and her boyfriend some space, but then Ashraf shows up at the door. Possibly a Crowning Moment of Funny. Or Awkward.
- Love at First Sight: Noam and Ashraf meet at a checkpoint between Israel and the West Bank.
- Love Martyr
- Averted with Rana, Ashraf's sister. Her fiancé is a terrorist but he also adores her.
- Played straight with Lulu and Sharon. The guy's clearly a jerk, but she wants so badly to believe he'll be different with her.
- Matzo FeverAshraf: "So this is how Jews fuck."
- Relationship Upgrade: With Lulu and Shaul.
- Serenade Your Lover: also a crowning moment of heartwarming.
- Sexiled: Ashraf and Noam hang out on the roof to give Lulu and Sharon some space.
- Straight Gay: Taken Up to Eleven with Yali's boyfriend, Golan.
- War Is Hell: The end of the movie is not happy.