The Brady Bunch
They're back to save America from The '90s
never reached the top 30 during its original network run, but earned a large following in syndication. In 1995, this fame led to the release of The Brady Bunch Movie
, the first of three Affectionate Parody
-films of the original sitcom. The Bradys have become a bunch of Disco Dans
, engaging in 1970s fads and activities despite moving to the 1990s. This movie follows their efforts to raise $20,000 in order to save their home (and, by extension, their neighborhood) from a Corrupt Corporate Executive
who wants to convert the area into a shopping mall.A Very Brady Sequel
followed The Brady Bunch Movie
in 1996. A man identifying himself as Carol's first husband, Roy Martin, returns from a several-decade absence, and causes friction among the Brady household. Unbeknownst to the Brady Bunch, their visitor is actually a smuggler named Trevor Thomas (Tim Matheson of Animal House
and Burn Notice
), seeking to steal their horse statue for Dr. Whiteman, a rich man living in Hawaii
. Trevor uses the Bradys
' cluelessness to carry out his plan, as well as openly insult them throughout the film.
Paramount Television and Fox hoped to continue the success of the two theatrical movies with a 2002 Made-for-TV Movie
titled The Brady Bunch in the White House
. In it, Mike Brady becomes President of the United States.
Tropes featured in the movies:
open/close all folders
- Born In The Wrong Decades: The eponymous family in the movies.
- The Brainless Beauty: Marcia, especially A Very Brady Sequel:
"He even wrote something in my yearbook in French! 'Menage A Trois.'
I bet that means 'You're the most.'"
- Celebrity Paradox: In the first movie a girl says Peter is a babe in a Gilligan sort of way. In A Very Brady Sequel Carol's first husband is the professor and a character mentions his son Gilligan has disappeared.
- Character Exaggeration: The theatrical films exaggerated the characters' personalities a bit such as Jan's jealousy towards Marcia and Cindy's tattling, but true to the show. They were the characters from the later seasons stuck in the 1990s. The TV movie The Brady Bunch in the White House made them unloveable parodies, such as Marcia crying when she got captain of the cheerleading squad and the vote wasn't unanimous.
- Double Entendre: Too many to list here. Most come courtesy of Mike and Carol.
- The Film of the Series
The Brady Bunch Movie
A Very Brady Sequel
The Brady Bunch in the White House
- Big Damn Movie: The Brady Bunch must save the world from an asteroid.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: The Brady Bunch continue to engage in 1970s fads and activities despite moving to the 2000s.
- Karmic Jackpot: The Brady Bunch get invited to the White House as a reward for the strong honesty they practiced while helping someone find a winning Lottery Ticket.