A 1996 made for TV-movie adaptation of Peter Benchley
's book, Beast
. The film makes some radical changes from the book, while maintaining its basic plot: a giant squid is terrorizing a community and must be stopped.
Starring William Petersen
Tropes Found In This Work Include:
- Black Best Friend: Mike to Whip
- Black Dude Dies First: Not only averted overall, but during one squid attack, Mike is the only one to survive.
- Canon Foreigner: Schuyler Graves.
- Composite Character: Kathryn Marcus is a composite of Marcus Sharp (Whip's best friend in the book) and Marcus' dead girlfriend (and Gwen Stacy) Karen.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Schuyler Graves basically runs the town of Graves Point simply because he owns a profitable business and the town carries his name.
- Death by Adaptation: Talley survived in the book.
- Inverted, ironically, with Kathryn, who survives even though both of the characters she's comprised of are killed in the book.
- Dirty Coward: To save his own political career and keep his ass off the line, Graves tries (and fails) at every opportunity to back out of the final showdown.
- Film of the Book
- Kick the Dog: A dog winds up in the water and encounter the squid. The trope is averted in this instance, however. The dog manages to escape, with his unknowing family wondering why he's all wet and hiding under the car.
- Kill It with Fire: How the squid is dealt with.
- The Lost Lenore: Whip's wife, who loved to dive, died at sea at the Admiral Burnham wreck, which is why he so adamantly refuses to take two young divers there even though they offer a substantial payment.
- Mama Bear: The squid turns out to be a mother, and gets very mad when her child is killed.
- Only in It for the Money: Graves only facilitates action against the squid to be rid of it and return Graves Point to prosperity.
- During the climax Osborn Manning reveals he didn't poison the squid as planned, but sedated it so he could put it on display.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Graves' assistant Jameson. Near the beginning when Whip finds the life raft from the opening's victims and Schuyler uses his port authority to confiscate it, he lets Whip maul the hell out it with large grapnel hooks.
Jameson:Of course... I don't know the state it was in when you found it, or what kind of damage it sustained in your efforts to retrieve it.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: The mother squid in the second half goes on a rampage after the death of its child.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here: After it's been revealed that the beast was not poisoned but sedated and might wake up soon, Graves takes the only life raft and high tails it, leaving everyone else at the mercy of the beast.
- Shut Up, Kirk!: As Whip lectures and belittles him about his rich background, Graves hits back with:
"What, I'm supposed to feel guilty because I didn't drop out of school and go broke like you did?"