Film: The Barbarian Invasions
Les Invasions Barbares (The Barbarian Invasions) is a 2003 French-Canadian film, directed by Denys Arcand. The movie won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 2004 and is a sequel to Le Déclin de l'Empire Américain (The Decline of the American Empire), released in 1986.
- Betty and Veronica. Both Remy's older ex-lovers and Sebastien's love interests, though YMMV.
- Bourgeois Bohemian. Remy and his friends.
- Drugs Are Bad. Subverted, somewhat. Sebastien obtains heroin to ease Remy's pain, becoming a Health Care Motivation trope.
- The Generation Gap. Between the socialist Remy and his capitalist son. Leads to Awkward Father Son Bonding Activity.
- Mighty Whitey. Destroyed during Remy's "cretinism" monologue.
- Pan Up To The Sky Ending : A bittersweet version as Remy dies.
- The Professor. Inverted, somewhat. Instead of the guy who knows everything, Remy is portrayed as a loser.